Episcopal Church Elects First Woman Presiding Bishop

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2006
      From Columbus: Episcopal Church elects first woman Presiding Bishop
      By Pat McCaughan
      Episcopal News Service
      Sunday, June 18, 2006

      The Episcopal Church, 30 years after it allowed women to become
      priests and bishops, has elected a woman as its Presiding Bishop.

      Katharine Jefferts Schori, 52, bishop of Nevada, was elected from a
      slate of seven nominees, on the fifth ballot June 18, as the 26th
      Presiding Bishop. She is the first woman to hold the top post in the
      church's nearly 400-year history. Her nine-year term officially begins
      November 1; she will be invested and seated November 4 during a
      liturgy at Washington National Cathedral.

      Jefferts Schori breaks tradition in other ways. The airplane pilot and
      former oceanographer addressed deputies and visitors who gathered in
      the Columbus Convention Center in both Spanish and English. She
      thanked the other nominees and reassured the church of her passion for
      mission. She also offered a vision of reconciliation and
      actualization of the reign of God.

      The other nominees were bishops J. Neil Alexander of Atlanta; Edwin F.
      Gulick Jr., of Kentucky; Henry N. Parsley, Jr. of Alabama; Stacy F.
      Sauls of Lexington; Charles E. Jenkins III, of Louisiana, and
      Francisco Duque-Gomez of Colombia.

      "I give deep and abiding thanks for the ministry of the current
      Presiding Bishop," she said after an introduction by Presiding Bishop
      Frank Griswold. She added that she hoped his "gifts continue to be
      shared within the church and the world in years to come because he has
      very much to give us all."

      Griswold, in a statement issued later, said "The decision today is the
      fruit of the witness and ministry of women bishops, priest, and
      deacons in the life of our church."

      Enthusiastic applause, cheers and shouts of joy erupted in the House
      of Deputies as President George Werner read Special Order E017, the
      resolution asking the Deputies to approve Jefferts Schori's election.
      A two-thirds majority of both clergy and lay deputies then confirmed
      her election.

      Among the deputies who spoke in support of Jefferts Schori was Blanca
      Echeverry, wife of nominee Bishop Francisco Duque-Gomez of Colombia.
      "I stand before you to urge you to support her election," Echeverry
      told the gathering in Spanish, through an interpreter, before the vote
      was taken. She praised Jefferts Schori as someone who understands the
      church in Latin America with the assistance of the Rev. Yamily
      Bass-Choate, rector of La Iglesia Memorial de San Adreas, New York,
      former Province IV Coordinator of Hispanic Ministries, and a native of
      Colombia.

      Sergio Carranza, bishop assistant in Los Angeles, agreed, adding:
      "Women and Latino bishops helped carry her election."

      Ten of the 12 women bishops in the church joined Jefferts Schori in
      the House of Deputies. "This is an historic moment before the church,
      a wonderful moment before our church," Bishop Cate Waynick of
      Indianapolis said from the dais. She praised Jefferts Schori's
      leadership as "faithful and articulate. She has the ability to carry
      the vision and mission and to share it with the church and the world
      beyond us. My heart is bursting; I hope yours is, too."

      However, Deputy Eddie Blue of Maryland, said he would not support
      Jefferts Schori's election. "I am shocked, dismayed and saddened by
      the choice of the House of Bishops," he told the House. Citing strains
      within the Anglican Communion concerning issues of gender and
      sexuality, he added: "We are acting as imperialists, as we often do."

      Blue was the only deputy who spoke against Jefferts Schori, despite
      three invitations from the president of the Deputies for dissenters to
      add their voices to the discussion.

      Similarly, the Rev. Canon David Anderson, president of the American
      Anglican Council (AAC), former rector of St. James, Newport Beach (a
      Los Angeles-area congregation now affiliated with the Anglican Church
      in Uganda), said he opposed the choice of Jefferts Schori during an
      AAC news conference at the Nationwide Arena. When asked if any of the
      nominees would have been acceptable to the AAC, Anderson said, "...all
      of them, for different reasons in each case, would not have been ones
      we would have preferred."

      Anderson struck a more conciliatory note later in the briefing. "Yes,
      we will have to work with her; we will wish to work with her," he
      said. "However, this is a two-way street. She will undoubtedly need to
      work with us."

      Jefferts Schori said, in a pre-Convention interview, the priorities
      for the next Presiding Bishop include bridge-building and
      boundary-crossing as well as "moving our sanctuaries into the streets
      to encounter and transform the bad news of this world." She added that
      implementing the United Nation's Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
      of embracing and celebrating diversity, eradicating poverty and
      hunger, and creating an environmentally sustainable world are also
      priorities.

      As the 26th Presiding Bishop, she will also face such challenges as
      boosting declining membership and reconciling the church nationally
      and globally over issues of human sexuality and mission.

      The Rev. Margaret Rose, director of women's ministries for the
      Episcopal Church said, "The Holy Spirit works in ways that we cannot
      ask or imagine. We have to trust God that the work of reconciliation
      that is happening with women in the Anglican Communion will continue
      with our new primate.

      "She is a woman of depth, a woman of inclusion, a woman of fairness, a
      woman of prayer, a woman who knows what it is to gather God's people
      together, and we will trust that God will help us to walk together in
      every way possible.

      "Our men in the House of Bishops made this happen, so we have to thank
      those men and those prophetic voices that were helping that to happen.
      Around the Communion this is statement that we in fact can have more
      women in those positions and that will be true for women in Asia, in
      Africa, Latin American, and all around the world."

      Jefferts Schori, who voted in 2003 to consent to the consecration of
      New Hampshire's Bishop Gene Robinson, has said she brings "different
      life experience" to the top job of the church, and also expressed a
      desire "to embrace and celebrate all the diverse cultures, languages,
      and origins of the many parts of the Episcopal Church-Haiti, Taiwan,
      Province IX, the churches in Europe, Virgin Islands, as well as the
      many cultures within the U.S.-First Nations, African-American,
      Spanish-speaking, Asian, and all Anglo varieties. None is more
      important than another; all are essential to the transforming work of
      the body of Christ."

      Jefferts Schori was consecrated the ninth Bishop of Nevada on February
      24, 2001. She serves a diocese of some 6,000 members in 35
      congregations. In the House of Deputies she spoke of needing time to
      "leave Nevada well," and thanked her diocese for the wonderful
      ministries in which they engaged.

      Her service to the wider church includes current membership on the
      Special Commission on the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion;
      the Board of Trustees, Church Divinity School of the Pacific in
      Berkeley, California; the CREDO Advisory Board; the House of Bishops
      peer coaching program; the General Board of Examining Chaplains; the
      Board for Church Deployment; the House of Bishops' Pastoral
      Development, Racism, and Planning Committees; the Court for Review of
      a Trial of a Bishop; the Episcopal visitor team for the Community of
      the Holy Spirit; and the Bishops of Small Dioceses group. From
      2001-2003 she was a member of the 20/20 Strategy Group and served as
      secretary of the House of Bishops Ministry Committee at the 2003
      General Convention.

      She is the author of "When Conflict and Hope Abound," in "Vestry
      Papers" (March-April 2005); "Building Bridges/Widening Circles" in
      "Preaching Through Holy Days and Holidays: Sermons that Work XI,"
      (Roger Alling and David J. Schlafer, eds., Morehouse, 2003);
      "Multicultural Issues in Preaching" in "Preaching Through the Year of
      Matthew: Sermons That Work X," (Roger Alling and David J. Schlafer,
      eds. Morehouse 2001); and "The Nag" in "Preaching Through the Year of
      Luke: Sermons That Work IX," (Roger Alling and David J. Schlafer, eds.
      Morehouse 2000). One of her Maundy Thursday sermons was included in
      "What Makes This Day Different?" (David Schlafer, Cowley 1998).

      At the time of her election in Nevada, Jefferts Schori was assistant
      rector at the Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan in Corvallis,
      Oregon, where she also served as pastoral associate, dean of the Good
      Samaritan School of Theology, and priest-in-charge, El Buen
      Samaritano, Corvallis. She was ordained deacon and priest in 1994.
      Prior to ordination, she was a visiting assistant professor in the
      Oregon State University Department of Religious Studies; a visiting
      scientist at the Oregon State University Department of Oceanography;
      and an oceanographer with the National Marine Fisheries Service in
      Seattle. She is also an active, instrument-rated pilot, who has logged
      more than 500 flight-hours.

      She received a B.S. in biology from Stanford University, 1974; an M.S.
      in Oceanography from Oregon State University, 1977; a Ph.D. from
      Oregon State University, 1983; an M.Div. from Church Divinity School
      of the Pacific, 1994; and a D.D. from Church Divinity School of the
      Pacific, 2001.

      Jefferts Schori was born March 26, 1954, in Pensacola, Florida. She
      has been married to Richard Miles Schori, a retired theoretical
      mathematician (topologist), since 1979. They have one child, Katharine
      Johanna, 24, who is a second lieutenant and pilot in the U.S. Air Force.

      The Presiding Bishop serves as spiritual leader to more than 2.4
      million Episcopalians, is responsible for leading the church, and must
      oversee the planning, development, implementation and assessment of
      its programs.

      The Presiding Bishop is elected every nine years to serve as the chief
      pastor and Primate of the church. Canon law (Title I Canon
      1.2.4(a)(1)), charges the Presiding Bishop with responsibility for
      leadership in initiating and developing church policy and strategy,
      and for representing church policies, strategies and programs
      authorized by the General Convention.

      The Presiding Bishop is also charged to speak God's word to the church
      and to the world, as the representative of this church and its
      episcopate in its corporate capacity (Title I, Canon 1.2.4(a)(2)). In
      addition to these key roles, the Presiding Bishop oversees and
      presides at meetings of the House of Bishops, provides for episcopal
      ministry in cases of vacancies and visits the dioceses of the church
      (Title I, Canon 1.2.4(a)(3-6)).

      The Joint Nominating Committee for the Election of the Presiding
      Bishop, in its job description, "A Call for Discernment," noted the
      symbolic power in the office.

      Bishop Duncan Gray, III, of Mississippi and a committee member, said
      the group sought "a Presiding Bishop who could clearly expand our
      mission into the domestic and wider culture, and address the reality
      of an increasingly diverse church as well as our Anglican Communion
      brothers and sisters."

      The 29-member committee was elected by General Convention 2003 and
      included nine bishops, nine clergy and nine lay members representing
      each of the regional provinces of the church. Two youth members were
      appointed by the president of the House of Deputies.

      Historically, the office of the Presiding Bishop was filled
      automatically by the most senior bishop in the House of Bishops,
      measured by date of consecration, beginning with the presidency of
      William White at the first session of the 1789 General Convention.
      That process changed in 1925 when the church elected the Rt. Rev. John
      Gardner Murray as the 16th Presiding Bishop. The process, considered
      costly, is under review by this convention.

      Resolution A112, recommended by the Standing Commission on Structure
      asks the Convention to charge it to "review, study, and recommend to a
      future meeting of the General Convention resolutions concerning
      changes to the process by which the Presiding Bishop would be elected
      by both Houses of General Convention." Such a study, the explanation
      says, would begin considering an election process which would be "more
      inclusive of both Houses."

      "As we elect a new Presiding Bishop, now is the time to examine the
      current process and make recommendations for the next election, nine
      years hence," the report of the Standing Commission said.

      A total of seven nominees were formally entered into nomination at a
      2:30 p.m. joint session of the Houses of Bishops and Deputies June 17
      in the House of Deputies. The committee had selected its four
      candidates from an initial pool of 24 nominees. The candidates
      underwent a process of discernment, interviews and scrutiny, including
      medical and psychological screening, as well as background checks,
      according to committee co-chair Diane Pollard. The three additional
      candidates were subsequently nominated by petition, bringing the total
      slate to seven.

      The Rt. Rev. Ken Price, Bishop of Southern Ohio, said the bishops
      agreed to accept no additional names after April 1, to allow adequate
      time for the same medical and psychological screening and background
      checks undergone by the other candidates.

      The House of Bishops convened at 10:30 a.m. June 18 in executive
      session at Trinity Episcopal Church, near the Ohio state capital.
      After the election, bishops remained in session until the House of
      Deputies confirmed the election. The bishops certified the election
      and the Presiding Bishop-elect was formally announced.

      Price said office space and administrative support will be provided
      for the Presiding Bishop-elect at the convention center, and she will
      be invited to preach at the closing eucharist for Convention June 21.

      Additionally, a transition committee has been formed to offer support
      to other nominees and their families, said Bishop Peter Lee of
      Virginia, a co-chair of the Joint Nominating Committee.

      "The Transition Committee has a particular interest in the pastoral
      care and support of nominees and spouses," added Gray. "Each nominee
      has been assigned two shepherds to connect with them throughout the
      transition, whatever that might look like, to take seriously those who
      were not elected."

      - - The Rev. Pat McCaughan is senior correspondent for ENS and serves
      as associate rector at St. Mary's Church in Laguna Beach, California.