UCC Official Calls on Senators to 'Respect U.S. Constitution' in Vote

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2006
      United Church of Christ Press Release
      Tuesday, 06 June 2006

      John Thomas calls on senators to 'respect U.S. Constitution' and vote
      against marriage amendment
      by Dorothy Gunn

      As the U.S. Senate this week opened debate on a proposed
      Constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage, the Rev. John H.
      Thomas, UCC general minister and president, released the following
      statement of opposition to the bill:

      Statement of opposition to the Federal Marriage Amendment (S.J.
      Resolution 1)
      on behalf of the General Synod of the United Church of Christ
      by Rev. John H. Thomas, General Minister and President
      June 5, 2006

      On July 4, 2005, the General Synod of the United Church of Christ
      acted courageously to declare freedom, affirming marriage equality,
      affirming the civil right of same gender couples to have their
      relationships recognized as marriages by the state, and encouraging
      our local churches to celebrate and bless those marriages.

      This action continues the long trajectory of resolutions by the
      General Synod which have affirmed the full human dignity of all
      persons, encouraged the welcome and affirmation of gay, lesbian,
      bisexual and transgender persons as member and ministers in the church
      and recognized and respected the full citizenship of gay, lesbian,
      bisexual and transgender persons, advocating for their full and equal
      civil rights.

      The General Synod has acted both out of a concern for justice,
      demanding that the present discrimination against gay, lesbian,
      bisexual, and transgender persons be ended, as well as our of a
      theological conviction that same gender couples are as capable of
      fulfilling the vocation of marriage as heterosexual couples, a
      vocation described in our marriage rite as one in which couples offer
      each other mutual care and companionship, bear witness to God's great
      gift of joy for them and for others exemplified in the story of Jesus
      at the wedding at Cana in Galilee, and in the intimacy of their
      relationship, represent the intimacy of Christ's love for the Church.
      Many of our pastors have presided at the marriages of gay and lesbian
      couples which have taken place in the sanctuaries of many United
      Church of Christ congregations.

      Through their action, the General Synod has voiced its opposition to
      the Federal Marriage Amendment, which proposes to single out same
      gender couples for discrimination in the U.S. Constitution, denying
      them access to the full rights, benefits and responsibilities accorded
      heterosexual couples through civil, legal marriage. Thus, on behalf
      of the General Synod of the United Church of Christ, I call-on the
      members of the United States Senate to respect the religious diversity
      that exists in our country, respect the U.S. Constitution and its
      longstanding tradition of expanding rights, rather than restricting
      them, and urge Senators to vote against the proposed Federal Marriage
      Amendment.

      Rev. John, H. Thomas,
      General Minister and President,
      United Church of Christ

      Critics say President Bush and Republican supporters are promoting the
      amendment to appeal to their party's conservative base amid declining
      polls in a congressional election year. The measure is not expected
      to pass in a Senate vote later this week as it faces stiff opposition
      from Democrats and Republican moderates. A similar amendment failed
      in both the Senate and House of Representatives in 2004.

      To send a message to your senator, go to ucctakeaction.org .

      Link:
      http://news.ucc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=574&Itemid=54