Event: "The Bible and the H-Word," Central Texas

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13 6:08 AM
      CENTRAL TEXAS RECONCILING UNITED METHODISTS SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

      May 9, 2006

      Dear Friends,

      We are excited to announce a special event to be held during Annual
      Conference which you will not want to miss. On Monday, June 5th, we
      will gather for dinner and to host Dr. L. Michael White and his
      presentation of "The Bible and the H-Word: A Serious Examination of
      Key Biblical Passages Regarding Homosexuality."

      Dr. White is the Director of the Institute for the Study of Antiquity
      and Christian Origins at the University of Texas, Austin, and holds
      the Ronald Nelson Smith Chair in Classics and Christian Origins. A
      native of Dallas, Dr. White earned a Ph.D. from Yale University and
      has taught previously at Yale, Indiana University, and Oberlin
      College. He has published seven books and has served as the principal
      historical consultant and co-writer for two PBS/Frontline Series
      documentaries: From Jesus to Christ: The First Christians (1998), and
      Apocalypse! Time, History, and Revolution (1999).

      Our dinner and meeting will be held at George's Restaurant, 1925
      Speight Ave., in Waco. The cost is a very reasonable $12.00 per
      person. We will start serving a Fajita Buffet at 5:15pm, with Dr.
      White's presentation starting at 5:45 and ending in time for you to
      attend the Memorial Service that night.

      This is the first time we have ever held such an event during Annual
      Conference and we hope you will plan to attend and will invite others
      as well. Dr. White made this same presentation during the 2005
      Southwest Texas Annual Conference to an audience of over 200 and
      received rave reviews. It is a wonderful opportunity to fellowship
      with friends, enjoy good food, and gain in our understanding of a
      topic that continues to be a major issue in our church and society.

      Please complete and return the enclosed Reply Form as soon as
      possible, but no later than May 31st. Also, please help us spread the
      word on this event. We certainly want to have a large audience to
      hear this outstanding presentation. Since we are the church of "Open
      Doors, Open Hearts, and Open Minds," this event is open to everyone,
      not just Annual Conference delegates. Thank you in advance for your
      support.

      Grace and Peace,

      The Leadership Team

      Central Texas Reconciling United Methodists

      REPLY FORM (RETURN NO LATER THAN MAY 31ST)

      Mail to

      Central Texas RUM
      505 Caduceus Lane
      Hurst, TX 76053

      ___ Yes, I will attend.

      My check for $__________ for _______ person(s) @ $12.00 each is enclosed.

      ___ Yes, I will attend and will pay at the door.

      Please reserve space for ______person(s).

      ___ No, I will not be able to attend, but am enclosing a donation to
      help defray the costs of this event.

      Please make checks payable to Central Texas RUM