Commentary from Affirmation's Co-Spokesperson, Ken Rowe

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2006
      May 4, 2006
      For Immediate Release
      Contact Ken Rowe

      Commentary from Affirmation's Co-Spokesperson, Ken Rowe

      The United Methodist Church never ceases to surprise me. From the
      Open Minds, Open Hearts, Open Doors public relations campaign to our
      willingness to always reach deep in our pockets for mission and
      disasters. The most recent Judicial Council decision to not
      reconsider it's earlier decision to allow stand the right of a pastor
      to deny church membership to LGBT Christians is, well, amazing. The
      majority on the Judicial Council, and they imply they represent the
      majority of United Methodists, insist they are following the letter of
      the law and that it's time to put the matter to the rest. Amazing.
      The law wins over the gospel. The majority decides for the minority.
      Somehow, I don't think this is put to rest.

      What it has put to rest is what big picture the "Majority" of the
      Judicial Council is operating under. They seem to be so fearful of
      non-heterosexuals in the church, that they are willing to go against
      the very core of Christianity and the Methodist movement.

      Meanwhile, our brothers and sisters in the United Church of Christ
      have been trying to run advertising to show that not all churches are
      narrow minded, exclusive, judgmental and puritanical, as the media
      tends to show. The UCC commercials show a sanctuary full of people,
      then unexpectedly a mother with a crying baby are sprung up in the air
      with an ejection pew, followed by a gay couple, a single man, a person
      in a walker, and then person after person are ejected. The commercial
      ends with "God Doesn't Reject People". What a powerful message that
      the secular media has rejected by and large because it's viewed as too

      And yet here in the UMC, the people who brought us Open Minds, Open
      Hearts, Open Doors campaign, have mandated closed minds, closed
      hearts, and closed doors.

      The decision of the Judicial Council was not unanimous. There were
      four voices of dissent. The fact there is dissent and truth telling on
      the Judicial Council, and by the grace of God, allows me to stay in
      the UMC.

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and
      Transgender Concerns continues to witness, act and testify to the
      lives and ministries of LGBT United Methodists. This ruling makes it
      clear the level of fear and intolerance in the Church. The Judicial
      Council apparently now allows pastors to deny membership to LGBT
      people, but it is not much of a prophecy to declare that God will rise
      up LGBT children born of Heterosexual members. The UMC can continue
      to eject us, but God doesn't reject us.

      Affirmation's Mission Statement: As an independent voice of Lesbian,
      Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer people, Affirmation radically
      reclaims the compassionate and transforming gospel of Jesus Christ by
      relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church as we journey with
      the Spirit in creating God's beloved community.

      Since 1972, Affirmation has been an activist, all-volunteer,
      not-for-profit organization with no official ties to The United
      Methodist Church.

      Rev. Ken Rowe is an Elder and Clergy Member of the Minnesota Annual
      Conference and is co-spokesperson for National Affirmation. Located
      in San Francisco, he is on the steering committee for United Genders
      of the Universe and is community co-chair of the city's anti-syphilis

      How to Contact Us:
      Affirmation email: umaffirmation@...
      Affirmation web: http://www.umaffirm.org
      Snail-Mail: Affirmation, P.O. Box 1021, Evanston, IL 60204.