Internationally Known Gay Cleric Voices Support for WorldPride Gay Festival in Jerusalem

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      For background for the following MCC press release, see

      Clerics of 3 Faiths Protest Gay Festival Planned for Jerusalem
      By LAURIE GOODSTEIN and GREG MYRE
      New York Times, March 31, 2005

      International gay leaders are planning a 10-day WorldPride festival
      and parade in Jerusalem in August, saying they want to make a
      statement about tolerance and diversity in the Holy City, home to
      three great religious traditions.

      Now major leaders of the three faiths - Christianity, Judaism and
      Islam - are making a rare show of unity to try to stop the festival.
      They say the event would desecrate the city and convey the erroneous
      impression that homosexuality is acceptable.

      More at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/31/international/worldspecial/31gay.ht
      ml

      NY Times registration required.

      -------------------------------------

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 31, 2005
      Internationally Known Gay Cleric Voices Support for WorldPride Gay
      Festival in Jerusalem

      "We are coming to Jerusalem. Jerusalem is our Holy City, too," says
      the Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry, founder of world's largest gay church
      group

      Los Angeles -- An internationally-known gay cleric entered the debate
      over the upcoming WorldPride festival and parade in Jerusalem today,
      noting "We are deeply saddened that once again, religion has been used
      to attack God's gay and lesbian children." The Reverend Dr. Troy D.
      Perry, founder of the 43,000 member Metropolitan Community Churches,
      one of the world's largest predominantly gay organizations, voiced his
      strong support for the international gay event schedule for Jerusalem
      in August 2005..

      Perry, who is co-chair of an Interfaith Gay Clergy Conference to be
      held at WorldPride, said, "We are coming to Jerusalem. And we are
      coming with gay and lesbian and bisexual and transgender clergy of
      many faith communities. Jerusalem is our Holy City, too."

      On Thursday, Christian, Jewish and Moslem clerics in Israel denounced
      the WorldPride Festival, asking city officials to ban the observance.

      "They have a right to their views," said Perry, "but they don't have a
      right to globalize their prejudice and infringe on the freedoms of
      others. True spiritual values are about inclusion and welcome, not
      attacks and threats."

      Perry, a long time human rights activist, is the first openly gay
      person to serve on the Los Angeles Human Rights Commission and is a
      past delegate to the White House Conference on AIDS and the White
      House Conference on Hate Crimes. In 1998, he was one of 100 U.S.
      religious leaders honored at a White House breakfast by U.S. President
      Bill Clinton for their contributions to American society.

      At a Thursday press conference in Israel, Rabbi Yehuda Levin, of the
      Rabbinical Alliance of America, called the festival "the spiritual
      rape of the Holy City," adding, "This is not the homo land, it is the
      Holy Land."

      "The religious voices attacking World Pride are loud and shrill, but
      they are not representative of the growing spiritual movements that
      welcome gays and lesbians," said Perry.

      "Thirty-six years of activism for gays and lesbians have taught me
      never to be intimidated by the voices of hate and ridicule and
      exclusion. They only make us stronger and more convinced in our work
      for equality. And this attack is no different," said Perry. "I'm
      inviting everyone I know to come to WorldPride with me in August."

      "Many of us will be gathering in Jerusalem not only to celebrate gay
      pride, but also to celebrate our spiritual pride," said Perry. "We're
      coming as pilgrims to pay homage to the three faiths of Christianity,
      Judaism, and Islam that hold Jerusalem sacred."

      (END)

      For More Information, Contact:
      Jim Birkitt
      MCC Communications Department