Court of Appeals Overturns Price Case at DePauw

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      Court of Appeals Overturns Price Case at DePauw
      By United Methodist News Service
      March 1, 2005

      A case involving a United Methodist-related university and a college
      instructor who claims she was unjustly removed from her part-time
      teaching position is entering another round of legal proceedings.

      In January, the Indiana Court of Appeals ruled in favor of DePauw
      University and overturned a jury's verdict in favor of Janis Price, a
      DePauw employee who has worked in the education department for more
      than 15 years. Price has filed an appeal.

      In a trial in October 2003, a jury awarded Price $10,401 in damages.
      At that time, the jury ruled DePauw did not properly follow policies
      in its faculty handbook when reducing her duties.

      Initially, Price sued the university, claiming DePauw had cut her
      teaching duties because of her religious views. She maintains she was
      reassigned and incurred a $10,000 pay cut because she had distributed
      anti-homosexual magazines in her classroom.

      DePauw argued that its decision to change Price's duties was the
      result of both declining enrollments in the teacher education program
      and regular and special reviews of her performance.

      "This decision represents total vindication of DePauw," said John T.
      Neighbours, the attorney who defended the university. "This ruling
      affirms that all of her claims were without merit and that DePauw
      acted legally, properly and honorably."

      According to a statement from the university, the ruling by the
      Indiana Court of Appeals determined that the trial judge should have
      awarded summary judgment for DePauw and that there should not even
      have been a trial. As a result, the trial judge's denial of summary
      judgment is reversed and the damages and costs awarded to Price are
      reversed as well.

      Price was a part-time instructor at DePauw until July 2001, when her
      responsibility for teaching one class was not extended by the
      university. She remains an administrator in DePauw's education
      department.

      "All of my titles were stripped from me, but I continue to do the work
      that those titles carried with them," Price said. "I feel a sense of
      professional responsibility and personal integrity that I need to stay
      to help the students as they are coming through our program."

      Price, a member of Independent Christian Church, said she feels she is
      being harassed because of her religious beliefs.

      In March 2001, Price made available to her students four issues of
      Teachers in Focus magazine, published by Focus on the Family. One of
      the magazines contained an article advising teachers on how to
      confront homosexuality in public schools. Price says students were not
      told they had to pick them up and the magazines were not part of an
      assignment. A student in the class filed a complaint.

      "When Christians are harassed and discriminated against in the
      workplace, I think sometimes it is appropriate for them to leave but
      others times it is not. It certainly would have been easier for me to
      have left DePauw, but how in the world are Christians going to make a
      difference in our culture if we are not light and salt in that
      culture?"

      In March 2003, Putnam Circuit Court Judge Diana LaViolette dismissed
      Price's claims that DePauw violated her freedom of speech, freedom of
      religion and academic freedom. The Clay County jury was asked only to
      decide whether DePauw violated its faculty handbook in the way it
      handled Price's reappointment, and ruled in her favor. The Jan. 10
      decision from the Indiana Court of Appeals reverses that ruling and
      affirms DePauw's argument that it followed proper procedure in the
      handling of the matter.

      The Court of Appeals also rejected Price's claim that the lower court
      inappropriately dismissed her claim of religious harassment.

      "The Indiana Court of Appeals affirms what we have maintained from the
      beginning: that DePauw scrupulously followed its employment policies
      and practices every step of the way in this matter," said Ken Owen,
      director of media relations at DePauw.

      Price maintains she "wants the truth to be known and the Lord to be
      honored through all of this."

      # # #

      News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
      or newsdesk@....