    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2005
      Mr. Bush's Two Big Ideas
      February 3, 2005
      New York Times Editorial
      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/03/opinion/03thu1.html

      ... we were disheartened by the renewed call for a constitutional
      amendment banning gay marriage and the failure to mention development
      aid to Africa or virtually any other country that is not identified as
      a prime source of terrorism. <MORE>

      ---------------

      State of the Union
      Thursday, February 3, 2005
      Washington Post Editorial; Page A26
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59306-2005Feb3.html

      ... The address was well-delivered and less of a laundry list of
      proposals than many of its predecessors. Mr. Bush did take pains to
      assuage the cultural conservative part of his base by repeating his
      call for a constitutional amendment to prohibit gay marriage; we
      preferred his commitment to increase the size of Pell grants and to
      bolster the legal defenses of accused criminals. <MORE>

      ---------------

      For Immediate Release
      Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2005
      HRC RESPONDS TO STATE OF THE UNION
      Statement of Steven Fisher, Communications Director Feb. 2, 2005

      Once again, President Bush contradicts himself.

      President Bush said that government should never undermine family
      values and family responsibilities but, in the very next breath,
      called for passage of a constitutional amendment that undermines GLBT
      families and denies them the same responsibilties of all others.

      President Bush, in his first State of the Union of his second term,
      chose the divisive path of supporting the narrow interests of
      extremist elements of his party over uniting the American people.

      Sadly, once again he valued the extremism of a few over the greater
      good of protecting all Americans, including GLBT families whose
      well-being are jeapordized by this proposal.

      President Bush spoke about reforming our retirement, tax and
      immigration systems. True reform means finally bringing equity to all
      Americans affected by those important rights and protections.

      President Bush called for reauthorization of the Ryan White CARE Act
      and called for better prevention for everyone affected by HIV. We are
      pleased President Bush recognized the urgent need to fight this
      epidemic as strongly as possible.

      We hope he's mindful that better prevention means giving everyone at
      risk the unvarnished truth about protecting themselves from HIV. Just
      as important, we must ensure that everyone living with HIV has the
      care they need to stay healthy.

      If a sliver of hope could be gleaned from his words tonight, they were
      in his stated commitment to helping those with HIV/AIDS and we will
      work with him to make the fight against this disease as strong as
      possible. We hope his actions match his words.

      NEWS from the Human Rights Campaign
      1640 Rhode Island Ave., N.W.
      Washington, DC 20036-3278
      E-mail: hrc@...