An Open Letter To PBS President Pat Mitchell

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2005
      This letter is also available on Affirmation's web site at:
      http://www.umaffirm.org/news/2005openletterpbs.html

      ------------------------

      An Open Letter To PBS President Pat Mitchell

      Att'n: Ms. Pat Mitchell, PBS President

      Dear Ms. Mitchell:

      Over and over we hear about "family values" and the "homosexual
      agenda." "Postcards From Buster" depicts the highest ideals of
      American family values, American cultural diversity, and American
      inclusivity. The show reflects our nation's core beliefs such as "all
      [people] are created equal" and all "have inalienable rights." This
      is precisely the "homosexual agenda" that so many claim is harmful to
      our children--intrinsic equality and basic human rights.

      Just yesterday our children learned about kosher foods and other
      Orthodox Jewish traditions. They have learned about Cajun culture and
      cuisine. Through the show, they have met children and families
      reflecting a potpourri of ethnic and racial identities from all over
      our country. We believe "Postcards From Buster" is one of the most
      valuable new shows on TV.

      But recently, you first postponed, and then cancelled, an episode of
      the show because it depicts a family that is parented by two lesbian
      moms. Clearly this is censorship, and it is wrong. What happened to
      our basic civil rights and freedoms? What happened to parents being
      able to choose what their children watch on TV? If it isn't available
      on TV, then where is the option for parents who want their children to
      be educated about the wide variety of ways in which people are
      different?

      There is much on TV that we, as Christian mothers, have to protect our
      children from. We shield them from exposure to violence. We try to
      prevent them from hearing language that is not used in our homes. Now
      we must protect our children from those who would take away our civil
      rights. We must protect our children from narrow-mindedness and
      prejudice. We must protect our children from those who would restrict
      their growth and education regarding the wondrous cultural diversity
      that is ours to share as members of the American family.

      We strive for our children to live in harmony with the medley of
      peoples that are their neighbors and friends, acknowledging and
      respecting everyone's individuality as well as their cultural
      identity. Viewing a show that has Muslim families, Christian
      evangelical families, divorced families, or gay families will not make
      our children Muslim, evangelical, divorced, or gay. Children today
      are smarter than that. Sooner or later they will figure out the
      awesome diversity of our global village. It is our hope that our
      children will overcome the biases of previous generations and reach
      for "the partriot dream that sees beyond the years." With liberty and
      justice for all, our America the Beautiful may one day be "undimmed by
      human tears."

      Sincerely,
      Rev. Nancy L. Giese, Chair of Program Committee
      Rev. Vivian R. Waltz, Chair of Communications Committee
      Rev. Peggy R. Gaylord, Co-Spokesperson
      National Council Members of Affirmation:
      United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender
      Concerns, Inc.

      cc: Margaret Spellings, U.S. Secretary of Education

      --------

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual &
      Transgender Concerns is an independent voice of LGBT people and their
      allies who affirm full participation of all persons in the church and
      society and who relentlessly pursue policies and processes to that
      end. Together we proclaim a Gospel of respect, love, justice and mercy
      for all. Affirmation is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit
      organization with no official ties to The United Methodist Church.

      How to Contact Us:
      Affirmation email: umaffirmation@...
      Affirmation web: http://www.umaffirm.org
      Snail-Mail: Affirmation, P.O. Box 1021, Evanston, IL 60204.