Stop the FMA Today!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      From the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force / National Religious
      Leadership Roundtable.

      September 29, 2004

      An immediate action is needed on the part of faith leaders and your
      colleagues and constituents across the country! On the second day of
      our meetings at the Religious Leadership Roundtable, we made well over
      a dozen visits or drop by visits with Members of Congress and their
      staff to discuss this Thursday's vote on the "Federal Marriage
      Amendment." It became clear through our meetings that most offices are
      receiving very few if ANY calls or emails from clergy who oppose
      amending the Constitution to discriminate against same-gender
      marriage.

      WE MUST GET WORD TO MEMBERS OF THE U.S. HOUSE THAT CLERGY OPPOSE THE
      AMENDMENT.

      Please contact your members of the House of Representatives on
      Wednesday, or Thursday morning at the latest, by phone or email to let
      them know you oppose writing discrimination into the U.S.
      Constitution! Even if you know they will be voting for or against the
      amendment, it is important for them to hear from you (they do keep
      track of calls and emails!).

      3 Ways to Contact Your Representative:

      1) Use the Task Force's Action Center at
      http://ga4.org/campaign/stopthefma/
      2) U.S. House Switchboard: 202.224.3121
      3) U.S. House Website: http://www.house.gov

      The message is simple: "I am a constituent and a faith leader in your
      community and I want the Congressman/woman to know that I oppose
      writing discrimination into the U.S. Constitution through the Federal
      Marriage Amendment. I encourage him/her to vote against the amendment
      on Thursday."

      Also, if you happen to know of colleagues in the following two
      districts, please forward them this message as we identified these two
      members today as among those who could use some extra calls:

      + Congressman Jim Cooper (Tennessee's 5th District, which includes
      Nashville)

      + Jennifer Dunn, (Washington's 8th district, including most of eastern
      King
      County)

      Thanks!
      Rea Carey