Woman Assaulted by Anti-Gay Petitioner in Michigan

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      TRIANGLE FOUNDATION RELEASE
      Tuesday, June 29, 2004, 2004

      WOMAN ASSAULTED BY ANTI-GAY PETITIONER

      (Pontiac, MI) – An anti-gay activist, collecting signatures to
      place an anti-gay question on the November ballot, assaulted a woman
      who raised questions about the issue. The incident took place outside
      of the Oakland County Courthouse on Tuesday morning.

      Rachel Lutz was on her way to the courthouse for an unrelated matter
      and witnessed the signature gatherer outside the building. The man
      was seeking support of an initiative that would ban equal rights for
      gay and lesbian couples. Lutz was familiar with the ballot drive to
      deny gay and lesbian couples access to marriage, civil unions and
      domestic partner benefits and began to inform potential signers about
      the issue, suggesting that the effort was discriminatory.

      "He shoved me," said Rachel Lutz. "I was standing by myself and did
      nothing to him, but obviously he was furious that I exercised my
      rights to free speech in favor of equality for gays. Finally, he
      asked if I'm a 'lezzie' and then he shoved me for no other
      reason. This really showed me, a straightally of the gay community,
      the kind of real animosity these people have toward gays."

      "Lezzie" is a derogatory term used to insult lesbians.

      Lutz quickly reported the incident to the authorities and filed a
      police report.

      "It is shameful that these professional signature gatherers are
      getting paid to attack the civil rights of gays and they even assault
      those that disagree with them, they're mercenaries, really" said
      Sean Kosofsky, Director of Policy for Triangle Foundation. "We call
      on all voters in Michigan to decline to sign any petition regarding
      marriage, because it will discriminate against gay and lesbian people.