Anglican Debate on Same-sex Blessings Opens with a Plea to Delay

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Tuesday, June 1, 2004
      Anglican Debate on Same-sex Blessings Opens with a Plea to Delay
      Decision
      The Anglican Church of Canada General Synod 2004 News Release

      St. Catharines, Ont.-- The debate by the Anglican Church of
      Canada's General Synod over the blessing of same-sex unions began
      today with a plea for civility.

      There were immediately a number of calls, especially from indigenous
      members, for the General Synod to delay any decision.

      Acting Primate David Crawley asked for debate to be civil and
      temperate, reminding more than 300 members that their ranks include
      gays and lesbians -- "our brothers and sisters."

      General Synod, the church's highest governing and legislative body,
      spent the morning in committee of the whole to allow for a wide-
      ranging discussion on a five-part motion dealing with the blessings.

      It focused on parts three, four and five of the motion and was
      introduced by members of General Synod's Faith, Worship and Ministry
      Committee.

      Dr. Walter Deller, who had studied the comments from an earlier
      session dealing with parts one and two of the motion, said he found
      them extremely repetitive and "all over the map."

      However, there was a consensus that if this is a doctrinal issue; it
      should be dealt with at General Synod and not to "pass the buck" by
      giving the decision-making to dioceses. Whatever the decision, he
      said, some people are going to be hurt.

      Canon Murray Still said the native people feel there is still a lot of
      healing and reconciliation to do following the abuse of children in
      church-run residential schools but these are being overshadowed by the
      same-sex issue. On this issue "we need to have conversations with our
      elders but our elders have not had a chance to get together to
      discuss it."

      The debate will continue during a third session Wednesday evening
      when the motion is expected to come to a vote.