Lights in the Dark by Rembert Truluck

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004
      Rembert Truluck. Update for Sunday, February 1, 2004
      Thank you for passing this on to others.

      We are living in dark times. All of the news that I see now about
      GLBT people and the public acceptance of same-sex romantic
      relationships and marriage is gloomy and depressing. State after
      state is moving swiftly to pass anti-gay legislation into law and
      forbid gay marriage, denysame-sex partner benefits and take away
      other civil and human rights from being enjoyed by GLBT people. What
      can we do? We can be lights that shine clearly in the darkness.

      The "Ex-Gay" homophobic religious establishment is generating most of
      this darkness with the willing cooperation of greedy politicians and
      misinformed social and community leaders. Now Bill Fritz, the Senate
      Majority Leader, who is a medical doctor from Tennessee, has come out
      against giving any recognition to GLBT partnerships.

      You can demonstrate in your own life the love, honor, self-acceptance
      and respect that you expect from others. Jesus said: "You are the
      light of the world; Let your light shine, so that others may see your
      good works and glorify God." (Matthew 5:14-16: See link below.)

      It is always better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

      How can you become a more effective light in the world? One way is
      to learn all you can about Jesus and to follow the Spirit of Jesus in
      your own life to demonstrate the powerful positive light of truth and
      love in your relationships with others. Small group study in homes
      is a great setting for this kind of learning and dialogue. Use my
      web site and book as practical guides and for information.

      Try reading through the Gospel of John in a good large print literal
      translation (such as the New American Standard Bible). It can be
      done in one sitting, but you probably will profit from better
      understanding if you take several sessions to read and meditate on
      all of it.

      After speaking of working out your own liberation ("salvation") with
      fear and trembling, Paul says some important words: "Do all things
      without grumbling or disputing; that you may prove yourselves to be
      blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst
      of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights
      in the world."

      You can make a difference simply by being different.

      Light consumes energy. To be a light in the darkness is costly and
      consumes your energy and time. You have to burn to shine.

      What do you need to let go and give up in order to shine as a much
      needed light in the darkness of your world today? You are an
      individual and your situation is not exactly like that of anyone
      else. You have to decide for yourself what direction your life
      should take now in order for you to let go and become the light that
      changes the darkness into truth and love around you.

      Jesus gave a lot of emphasis to letting go so that you can really
      live. "Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow me." Taking up
      the cross does not mean getting sick or losing your job. It means to
      follow Jesus in taking responsibility for the faults and failures of
      others and do what you can to stand with others who suffer.

      One of my favorite stories is of the little boy who was sick and
      needed a blood transfusion. The doctor suggested that the boy's
      younger brother, who had the same blood type, should be the donor.
      The parents talked to both of the boys and explained the situation.
      They asked the younger brother if he would give blood for his
      brother. The little boy thought for a while and then nodded his
      head and said that he would.

      The next day before they took the boys to the hospital for the blood
      transfusion, the youngest boy started taking loads of his toys in his
      arms and leaving the house then returning to take out some more. His
      parents asked him what he was doing. His reply was, "I am giving all
      of my toys away to my friends, because I will die when they take my
      blood." His parents were shocked that he had misunderstood. He
      thought that they would take all of his blood for his brother, and he
      knew he could not live without blood!

      Maybe this is why Jesus said that "a little child will lead them."

      What do you have to let go so that you can be the light of love and
      truth in your world?

      "Light of the World":

      HELP IF YOU CAN. I have encountered some financial challenges in
      keeping my office space available and in the cost of maintaining and
      replacing two computers along with two DSL connections and web
      hosting expenses. If you want to help support my Internet and book
      ministry of helping GLBT people around the world cope with religious
      and bible abuse and help to meet this financial need, please send a
      check to: Dr. Rembert Truluck
      PO Box 24062
      Oakland, CA 94623
      If you send a contribution of $100.00 or more and request my book, I
      will send you a signed gift copy of my book, which sells for $24.95
      plus packaging and postage.