LGBT Leader Kerry Lobel Named MCC Interim Executive Director

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2003
      Tuesday, December 22, 2003

      LGBT Leader Kerry Lobel Named Interim Executive Director
      for Metropolitan Community Churches

      (MCC) Noted social justice activist and longtime LGBT leader Kerry
      Lobel has been named Interim Executive Director of Metropolitan
      Community Churches, the world's largest church organization with a
      primary, affirming Christian ministry to gays, lesbians, bisexuals
      and transgender people.

      Lobel, who began her new duties with MCC on December 19, served as
      Executive Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force from
      1996-2000, where she focused on state and local grassroots activism.
      Under her leadership, NGLTF doubled both its budget and staff.

      "Kerry Lobel was the unanimous choice of the MCC Board of
      Administration," said Rev. Dr. Cindi Love, Chair of the BOA. Under
      MCC by-laws, the denominational Board of Administration is
      responsible for the hiring of an executive director .

      "Kerry brings extensive gifts and abilities to this new position,"
      said Love. "Her clarity and focus, her commitment to social justice,
      and her work on behalf of the spiritual needs of GLBT people of faith
      make her an excellent choice to serve as MCC's Interim Executive
      Director. I have known Kerry for a number of years and have always
      been impressed by her ability to listen and give voice to diverse
      constituencies. She has the highest integrity and she's not afraid of
      healthy, constructive confrontation," added Love.

      MCC's Founder and Moderator Rev. Troy D. Perry noted, "I have
      followed Kerry Lobel's outstanding work for the LGBT communities over
      the years with great admiration and was privileged to work closely
      with her on numerous projects during her tenure at NGLTF. She
      combines organizational management expertise with visionary
      leadership. I am ecstatic that she will be serving as MCC's Interim
      Executive Director during this pivotal time of change for
      Metropolitan Community Churches."

      Kerry will also assist with an international search for a permanent
      executive director for MCC during 2004.

      Kerry is an astute and respected leader in the contemporary movement
      for social justice. A seasoned nonprofit strategist and activist,
      Kerry has been on the front lines of progressive change for a quarter-
      century. She is the founder and principal of The Change Group, which
      works with groups to help them clarify purposes, raise funds and
      strengthen internal structures. Her current clients include the
      International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, the San
      Francisco LGBT Center, and the Women's Building in San Francisco. As
      an author, she has written and edited groundbreaking books and

      "During my tenure at NGLTF, MCC churches were often my home away from
      home," Lobel said. "I was always grateful for the leadership that
      pastors and lay leaders showed around LGBT and HIV/AIDS issues in the
      smallest towns and cities across the country." Lobel added, "I am
      very excited about this opportunity to put my own faith into action."

      Kerry is well known for her steady insistence that the struggles of
      youth, trangender people, bisexuals, people of color and people of
      faith be fully recognized by and incorporated into the LGBT movement.

      From 1985 through 1994, she was the lead organizer of the Women's
      Project in Little Rock, Arkansas, where she focused her work on bias
      violence, women and AIDS, women in prison and domestic violence. She
      also co-founded Support Services for Nonprofits, a consulting group
      that provided technical assistance and training to battered women's
      programs in 12 Southern states. Prior to that, Kerry was the
      Executive director of the Southern California Coalition on Battered
      Women from 1979 through 1984.

      Kerry co-wrote HIV, AIDS and Reproductive Health: A Peer Trainer's
      Manual (for women in prison) (1992); co-authored Lesbian Teens in
      Abusive Relationships in Dating Violence: Young Women in Danger (Seal
      Press, 1990); and edited Naming the Violence: Speaking Out About
      Lesbian Battering (Seal Press, 1986). She also authored reports on
      women's economic status in Arkansas.

      Regarded as an eloquent and powerful speaker, Kerry has wide
      experience with print, electronic and television media. She has been
      quoted in every major newspaper in the country, including The
      Washington Post, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times and USA
      TODAY. She has appeared on ABC, CBS, CNN and NBC and has been quoted
      in the nation's leading newsmagazines.

      Kerry currently serves as the Vice President of the board of
      directors of the Coastside Jewish Community, a congregation serving
      Jews and friends from Pacifica to Pescadero, on the coast south of
      San Francisco, California.

      Kerry Lobel may be reached by e-mail at KerryLobel@...