Bishop Frank Griswold, ARCIC Co-chairman, to Step Down

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2003
      NOVEMBER 29, 2003
      ARCIC Co-chairman to Step Down

      [ACNS source: Lambeth Palace] The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan
      Williams, has received the resignation of the presiding Bishop of the
      Episcopal Church (USA), Bishop Frank Griswold, as Anglican Co-chair
      of the Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission. Following
      recent events in the life of ECUSA, Bishop Griswold has written to
      the Archbishop of Canterbury to announce his decision, in the
      interests of "not jeopardizing the present and future life and work
      of the Commission". In his response, Archbishop Williams thanked
      Bishop Griswold for his "outstanding labour and commitment." The text
      of the letters is below.

      ARCIC began work in 1970, following the historic meeting of
      Archbishop Michael Ramsey and Pope Paul VI in Rome in 1966. It has
      produced agreed statements on many of the questions that have divided
      the Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion, particularly in
      the areas of Eucharist, Ministry and Authority. Bishop Griswold has
      been the Anglican Co-chair since 1998. The Roman Catholic co-chair is
      Archbishop Alex Brunett, Archbishop of Seattle. A new Anglican co-
      chair will be appointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury, after
      consultation with the Secretary General of the Anglican Consultative
      Council.

      Text of the letter from Bishop Frank Griswold:

      My dear Rowan,

      Given recent events in the life of the Episcopal Church in the United
      States, and the strain they have caused in the relationship between
      the Holy See and the Anglican Communion, I wish to submit my
      resignation as Anglican Co-chair, and member of the Anglican Roman
      Catholic International Commission. I do so not without regret, but in
      the interest of not jeopardizing the present and future life and work
      of the Commission of which I was privileged to be a member.

      With continuing prayer for the full and visible communion of the
      Anglican and Roman Catholic churches, for the sake of our broken and
      divided world, I am,

      Yours sincerely in Christ,

      The Most Revd Frank T. Griswold
      Presiding Bishop and Primate
      Episcopal Church, USA

      Text of reply from Archbishop Rowan:

      Dear Frank,

      This is to confirm formally that I have received the notice of your
      resignation from ARCIC. As you will know, I am very sorry that this
      has seemed the best course, but I cannot let the moment pass without
      paying tribute to your outstanding labour and commitment in this
      context over many years. Thank you for all you have done for this
      crucial dialogue.

      With every blessing,

      +Rowan Cantuar

      Anglican Communion News Service, London