African Anglican Council Calls for Unity

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      October 1, 2003
      CAPA council closes with calls for greater ties

      [ACNS source: Council of the Anglican Provinces of Africa] The ninth
      session of the Council of Anglican Provinces of Africa (CAPA) council
      meeting ended over the weekend in Nairobi, Kenya with a strong call
      for unity in the Anglican Church.

      Newly elected CAPA Chairman, the Most Revd Peter Akinola, said there
      were no internal rifts in the church in Africa, adding that the stand
      of the church on issues of human sexuality was guided by biblical
      teaching and the Lambeth resolutions of 1998.

      "The point is that we as the Anglican Church in Africa will continue
      to uphold biblical teaching on human sexuality, marriage and the
      family," Archbishop Akinola told an international news conference
      after his unanimous election.

      Outgoing CAPA Chairman, Archbishop Robert Okine of West Africa
      expressed joy at the growth of the continental body saying its
      response to the needs and challenges affecting over 40 million
      Anglicans in Africa was commendable.

      Over 50 delegates, including African primates, bishops, clergy, laity
      and partners, attended the two-day conference, which is the highest
      decision-making organ of the council and meets every four years.

      In his address to the council, Trinity Grants Program Deputy for
      Grants, the Revd James Callaway, said his ministry would continue to
      partner with provinces and dioceses regardless of their views in the
      ongoing sexuality debate.

      "We do not believe we have to see eye to eye with you on every issue
      to work with you around common mission concerns," he told the

      "More concisely stated: You don't have to agree with us to be eligible
      for a Trinity grant. This has been our policy in the past, it is our
      policy now, and it will remain our policy," he said.

      While dispelling concerns that provinces and dioceses which express
      their views on sexuality will be penalised, James Callaway encouraged
      discussions but noted that they should be done within the bounds of
      Christian charity.

      The council meeting resolved to enhance interfaith relations and work
      together with other faith communities to bring lasting peace in war
      torn areas in Africa. The council will also continue to prioritise
      HIV/AIDS and information sharing among the Anglican churches in
      Africa to build stronger communities of faith and support.

      Delegates also attended a colourful dedication service of CAPA House,
      which is accommodating the CAPA secretariat. Funds to purchase the
      building were provided generously by the United Thank Offering (UTO)
      of the Episcopal Church of the United States.

      UTO Co-ordinator JoAnne Chapman, who was present at the ceremony, said
      her organisation was thrilled to be part of such a major
      accomplishment in the history of the Anglican Church in Africa. Ms
      Chapman and outgoing CAPA Chairman, the Most Revd Robert Okine, cut a
      ribbon and unveiled a plaque to mark the official opening of the

      ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion News Service, London.