Some stay and some go in response to Robinson consent

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2003
      Wednesday, August 6, 2003
      Some stay and some go in response to Robinson consent
      David Skidmore
      Episcopal News Service

      The statement and show of support yesterday in the House of Bishops
      by 19 bishops opposing Gene Robinson's confirmation was not a walkout
      of convention or the Episcopal Church, said Bishop Edward Little of
      Northern Indiana, one of those who voted against the consent to New
      Hampshire's bishop elect.

      "We had no desire to do any kind of public demonstration," said
      Little, who participated in yesterday's debate on the Robinson
      consent.

      The statement, delivered by Bishop Robert Duncan of Pittsburgh and
      signed by 18 other bishops who stood with him on the dais as he read
      it, "is essentially a statement of disassociation from an action, not
      from the body that approved the action. The bishops that stood there
      said that we believe this action is contrary to Christian teaching
      and we cannot accept it," said Little during Wednesday morning's
      press briefing. Little is one of four bishops serving as briefing
      officers during General Convention.

      For those who feel the church has departed from the Christian
      consensus on moral teaching, "it is a time of profound sorrow," he
      said. Responses will probably vary, he said. As for his plans, he
      will go back into session with the house. "My own response is to go
      back to my work, to be clear about my convictions and stay connected."

      Deputies sign protest and leave the house

      Some deputies opted for more dramatic action today. After the
      introduction of Robinson on the floor of the House of Deputies early
      in the morning session, the Rev. Kendall Harmon, on a point of
      personal privilege, read a statement protesting the convention's
      action on Robinson. Joined by more than two dozen deputies at a floor
      microphone, Harmon said they were rejecting and dissociating
      themselves from the consent and were inviting others to sign the
      statement that Harmon had drafted. After delivering the statement,
      several dozen deputies removed their name badges and left the hall.

      By issuing consent, the Episcopal Church was "overturning the
      unambiguous moral teaching" of the universal church, said Harmon, and
      that "must be corrected by the Anglican Communion."

      Those signing this statement, said Harmon, were in agreement with the
      statement delivered yesterday evening in the House of Bishops by
      Duncan which calls for the intervention of Anglican primates under
      the auspices of Lambeth Conference resolution III 6(b).

      Some deputies will leave convention to return home, and others will
      leave the floor for fasting and prayer. Others, he said, will stay to
      make their witness to the church's traditional teaching.

      "We are not leaving the church," he stressed. "It is rather this
      church which has left the historic faith and has fractured the
      Anglican Communion."

      American Anglican Council officials claimed more than 20 bishops and
      deputies had signed the statement before Harmon's delivery this
      morning.

      The signers included Bishops Robert Duncan (Pittsburgh); Jack Iker
      (Fort Worth); John-David Schofield (San Joaquin); Terrence Kelshaw
      (Rio Grande); Peter Beckwith (Springfield); Andrew Fairfield (North
      Dakota); John Howe (Central Florida); James Stanton (Dallas); Gethin
      Hughes (San Diego); Keith Ackerman (Quincy); Ed Little (Northern
      Indiana); Stephen Jecko (Florida); Don Johnson (West Tennessee);
      William Wantland (retired, Eau Claire); William Skilton (South
      Carolina); Daniel Herzog (Albany); John Lipscomb (Southwest Florida);
      David Bena (Albany); Henry Scriven (Pittsburgh).

      A need for pastoral sensitivity

      The pain and distress of conservatives was felt by many progressive
      bishops and deputies. Bishop Chilton Knudsen emphasized the need for
      pastoral sensitivity to convention participants and church members
      back home.

      People have to "grieve before new life can begin," she said "and
      there is terrible loss here. I am glad they are grieving and hope
      they gather with the people with whom they can grieve."

      Although the predominant response in her diocese is one of
      celebration, she knows some members "who feel they lost their church
      and are grieving." Her hope is to sit down with them and talk
      and "will try hard to listen pastorally."

      Knudsen said she was sympathetic to the dissenting bishops' request
      for pastoral intervention, if it follows the "gentle and nonintrusive
      offering" approach used in some dioceses with visiting bishops. "They
      are transitional. They are not permanent," she said. "And I really
      support that."

      Colorado deputies warn of financial implications

      Distress marked the response by Colorado deputies the Rev. Donald
      Armstrong, rector of Grace Church and St. Stephen's in Colorado
      Springs; and the Rev. Ephraim Radner, rector of the Church of the
      Ascension in Pueblo, following Harmon's statement. Radner and
      Armstrong told reporters outside the house that they had removed
      their name tags and were leaving convention.

      "We are leaving this convention and perceive it as an
      unconstitutional convention and illegitimate," said Armstrong,
      charging it had violated the church's historic faith and order. They
      will be returning to their parishes, he said, and consulting with
      members regarding their relationship with the national structure of
      the Episcopal Church.

      "Most of us will withdraw funding from the national church," he said.
      Depending on how their bishops and fellow deputies voted on the
      consent, there could be "financial implications" for them, he said.
      Armstrong said he expected some of his parishioners to restrict their
      giving so that "the bishop and diocese of Colorado will no longer get
      that money, nor will the national church." Instead, those funds will
      be spent on other Christian ministry, he said.

      Armstrong said he didn't expect his 2,500-member parish to leave the
      Episcopal Church. "We are staying in the Episcopal Church," said
      Armstrong. As a member for 54 years, he wants to stay and "reclaim
      the church for the faith once delivered."

      Their decision to leave convention in advance of consideration of the
      same-sex blessing resolution — C051 — is not premature, he
      said, since conservatives see the consent on Robinson and authorizing
      development of same-sex blessing rites to be equal triggers for their
      action. "I would still find one or the other an apostate action," he
      said.

      Fear and suspicion characterized many conservative deputies'
      comments. Radner questioned the intent behind the bishops' voting
      process on the Robinson consent yesterday that extended past the
      deputies session.

      The plan as he understood it was for the vote to be scheduled so the
      results would be announced while the deputies were still in
      session. "There was a plan that people would pray together, people
      would go out together who were in objection," but that was "totally
      subverted," he charged.

      No ulterior motive in bishops' extended session

      There was no attempt by bishops to upstage conservative plans,
      maintained a Massachusetts deputy, the Rev. Ian Douglas at the
      morning news briefing. The bishops' process allowed a half-hour for
      table conversations, an hour for debate and up to an hour for them to
      turn in their written ballots. "I wouldn't go with any conspiracy
      theory that this was trying to be done out of session so that the
      House of Deputies could not respond in total," he said.

      Bishop Wendell Gibbs of Michigan, also a briefing officer, said the
      bishops opted to continue the session as they didn't want to have to
      wait until Wednesday morning to learn the results.

      "I don't think there was any attempt to say anything negatively to
      the other house," said Gibbs, pointing out that, when the deputies
      were debating the Robinson consent, the bishops were in recess, and
      many bishops were sitting in on the debate.