Duke University Students Say, "gay? fine by me"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      http://www.finebyme.org

      The Fine By Me project began at Duke University in Spring 2003. Ten
      Duke students (both undergraduate and graduate) discouraged by the
      meager "dialogue" on campus about a variety of social and political
      issues had dinner together to talk about the things they loved about
      Duke, and the things that bothered them.

      One of the issues that came up repeatedly was the perception on
      campus that Duke was homophobic, demonstrated by the Princeton
      Review's recent ranking of Duke as the most gay-unfriendly school in
      America. We thought the ranking was probably exaggerated, and
      wondered if most people at Duke really were homophobic, or if that
      was just the perception. We also thought the perception might have
      been feeding the homophobia; if Duke students thought it was more
      publicly acceptable to be homophobic than to condemn homophobia, they
      wouldn't condemn it.

      Almost 2,000 students, staff, professors, prospective freshman and
      community members now own and wear shirts.

      The Fine by Me project offers t-shirts for sale at slightly above
      cost ($7 for one t-shirt, $5 a piece for any quantity greater than
      one). Any size order can be processed. Large orders (over 12 shirts)
      will be processed immediately, while small orders will wait for a
      large enough aggregation of orders before processing.

      Order shirts: http://www.finebyme.org/order-form-cc.html

      Photos of students in t-shirts are at:
      http://www.finebyme.org/photos.html

      ----

      April 15, 2003: A group of students began handing out shirts Friday
      and continued distributing them on the Bryan Center walkway yesterday
      in an effort to encourage University members to accept people
      practicing gay lifestyles. Although funding for the shirts came from
      Duke Allies, the University's official gay-straight alliance, the
      program was unaffiliated with any official organization on campus.

      "I think that Duke has a reputation as being very conservative and
      unfriendly," said Tyler Pulis, who graduated from Trinity College in
      December and currently works in a nuclear physics lab on
      campus. "This is an easy way to show that there are people on campus
      who are cool with gay rights without any other sort of agenda
      attached," she added while handing out shirts.

      More at:
      http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/04/15/3e9bf418e
      21a1?in_archive=1