Committee Upholds Dismissal of Charges against the Rev. Karen Dammann

  • umcornet <umcornet@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003
      CALLED OUT
      --------

      From: PNW NEWS DIGEST, January 30, 2003 - Volume 8 - Number 11

      Committee Upholds Dismissal of Charges against the Rev. Karen Dammann

      A United Methodist Committee on Appeals upheld today the dismissal of
      a charge against the Rev. Karen Dammann for disclosing that she
      was "living in a partnered, covenanted homosexual relationship with
      another woman." In a split vote of 4 to 3 the committee found that no
      egregious errors of church law or administration had been committed
      by the annual conference Committee on Investigation when it heard and
      dismissed the case last year.

      When he heard today's decision, Bishop Galvan said, "I know that this
      decision may be difficult for some people to understand. The church
      has a very rigorous judicial process. We have faithfully followed
      that process and I respect the outcome."

      In 2001 Bishop Elias Galvan filed a complaint against the Rev.
      Dammann, under instruction from the Judicial Council, the highest
      court of the church. The first step in the church's judicial process
      was a closed hearing by the Commttee on Investigation of the Pacific
      Northwest Conference, which dismissed the charge.

      "I'm happy the committee's decision was upheld," commented the Rev.
      Pat Simpson, who chaired the Committee on Investigation that first
      heard the case. "I continue to pray that our judicial system will
      serve God's work of justice, reconciliation and healing."

      Following the dismissal late last spring, Bishop Galvan offered Rev.
      Dammann an appointment to a local church, effective July 1. She
      declined the appointment and requested and was granted family
      leave.

      The counsel for the church in the matter filed an appeal, claiming
      that "egregious errors of church law" had been committed by the
      Committee on Investigation. The Western Jurisdictional Committee on
      Appeals, meeting January 29 and 30, upheld the earlier decision.

      The Committee on Appeals is composed of9 persons, both lay and
      clergy, from across the western United States . They are elected by
      the western jurisdictional conference every four years. A decision by
      the Committee on Appeals can only be appealed to the Judicial Council
      of the church.

      The Rev. Dammann remains a clergy member of the Pacific Northwest
      Annual Conference in good standing. She continues on family leave and
      is living outside the area.

      Contact: Elaine Stanovsky 206-728-7462