Complaint against Iowa pastor dismissed

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 4:50 AM

      Complaint against Iowa pastor dismissed

      April 28, 1999 News media contact: Linda
      Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
      Tenn. 10-21-28-71B{237}

      By United Methodist News Service

      A complaint filed against an Iowa pastor earlier this year for
      participating in a "holy union" service for two women in Sacramento,
      Calif., has been dismissed by the bishop..

      The Rev. David Holmes of Council Bluffs was named in a complaint filed
      Jan. 21 with Iowa Bishop Charles W. Jordan for violating the
      denomination's proscriptions against homosexual unions. The complaint
      said Holmes' participation in the Sacramento service violated
      Paragraph 65C of the 1996 United Methodist Book of Discipline..

      "It is my conclusion that David Holmes did not violate paragraph 65C,"
      Jordan wrote in an April 21 letter to the clergy of the Iowa
      Conference.

      He said his decision was made after he and a supervisory team met with
      Holmes, consulted with cabinet members, other bishops, selected
      conference leadership; reviewed a video of the service; and examined
      the printed order of worship.

      According to the church's Social Principles, "Ceremonies that
      celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our ministers
      and shall not be conducted in our churches." The United Methodist
      Judicial Council, the church's supreme court, ruled last August that
      the passage is enforceable.

      Jordan said that Holmes' participation in the union service on Jan. 16
      "consisted of being in the processional and sharing in a prayer with
      nearly 100 others. He did not conduct nor did he have a leadership
      role in any part of the service. His presence was one of witness and
      solidarity."

      The letter from Jordan further notes that Holmes "has stated that he
      does not plan to conduct any services celebrating homosexual unions
      and has agreed that if circumstances arise in the future where he
      feels it necessary to reconsider this intention, he will consult with
      his bishop prior to any action. Therefore, the complaint has been
      resolved to the satisfaction to all parties involved."

      Jordan reminded the clergy that there is a difference between
      disagreeing with church's position and violating church law..

      "Those who seek changes are advised to follow the prescribed and
      accepted methods of our polity. I pray that we will boldly claim our
      unity in Christ and fully accept the diversity that exists among us.
      And when it becomes necessary to administer the law, may it be done in
      the spirit and attitude of grace."
      # # #

    • Called Out