"Family Fundamentals" Hits Screens on National Coming Out Day

    CALLED OUT From Arthur Dong... For more information see: http://www.deepfocusproductions.com/page_html/film_FF0.html ... For immediate release. Family
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2002

      From Arthur Dong...
      For more information see:

      For immediate release.

      "Family Fundamentals" Hits Screens on National Coming Out Day,
      October 11, 2002

      "There are no homosexuals, just heterosexuals with homosexual
      identity problems," claims the parent of a gay son in "Family
      Fundamentals," an emotionally gripping new film from three-time
      Sundance award winning filmmaker, Arthur Dong ("Licensed to Kill,"
      "Coming Out Under Fire"). Timed to commemorate National Coming Out
      Day, "Family Fundamentals" is slated for a
      national theatrical release October 11, 2002:

      Los Angeles: Music Hall, 9036 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills
      www.laemmle.comNew York City: Quad Cinema, 34 West 13th St.,
      San Francisco: Opera Plaza Cinema, 601 Van Ness Ave.,
      Berkeley: Shattuck Cinemas, 2230 Shattuck Ave.,

      "Family Fundamentals" takes viewers into the private, and sometimes
      very public lives of three fundamentalist families where parents
      actively oppose homosexuality despite having gay and lesbian children
      themselves. Featured are a Pentecostal church leader, with both a
      lesbian daughter and a gay grandson, who runs a ministry for parents
      with children who have "become homosexual"; a gay Mormon, ousted
      from the Air Force because of his homosexuality, whose father is a
      Latter-day Saint Bishop in rural Utah; and Brian Bennett, former
      chief of staff and once regarded as a son to Catholic and
      conservative ex-Congressman Bob Dornan, arguably one of America's
      most strident opponents of gay rights.

      "Family Fundamentals" was motivated by a desire to address the
      cultural wars between proponents of gay rights and those opposed to
      homosexuality. It was carefully produced with the cooperation of a
      distinguished and diverse panel of advisors, including: Soulforce
      founder Rev. Mel White who once served as a speech writer for key
      religious right figures like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell until he
      came out publicly as gay; Philip Yancey, nine-time Gold Medallion
      Award-winning author and editor-at-large of Christianity Today,
      America's largest Protestant magazine started by Rev. Billy Graham in
      the 1950s; and Forest Montgomery, recently retired general counsel
      for the National Association of Evangelicals.

      Clergy Quotes:

      Rev. Janet Parker, Pastor of Maranatha Fellowship MCC in Houston,
      writes: "The film captured the true picture of what has happened
      between so many parents and children of Christian Fundamentalists --
      I felt as if I was re-living my own experience again. My heart cries
      out for more of this kind of documentary work so that the real
      stories can be captured for ALL to see. It is a must see film!"

      Ken Olin, President of the Board of Trustees at First Unitarian
      Church of Philadelphia, writes: "I cannot say strongly enough how
      valuable this film is to enlighten those people who may not be
      familiar with our UU principles, particularly 'acceptance of one
      another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations'
      and 'a free and responsible search for truth and meaning.'"

      Press Quotes:

      Los Angeles Times
      "Arguably more compelling than any effects-laden spectacle you're
      likely to see all summer."

      The Village Voice:
      "The most gripping documentary in the [Festival] lineup, Arthur
      Dong's Family Fundamentals, tackles another kind of seemingly
      irreconcilable situation: that between conservative Christian parents
      and their gay children. Dong's film offers no solutions, but instead
      intelligently probes the fallout of raw emotion."

      "***** (Five Stars)! A mature, graceful and extraordinary

      "Docmeister Arthur Dong brings empathetic balance and emotional
      heft...cutting among the three stories with a strong narrative sense,
      Family Fundamentals makes its salient points sans overt

      The Dallas Voice:
      "Dong asks tough questions and doesn't deliver the simplest answers
      in his film, making it at once a sad, compelling and intelligent look
      that the way ignorance and hatred continue to cut off meaningful
      family relationships."

      Do you Yahoo!?