New Anglican head in Kenya opposed to abortion and homosexuality

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2002
      CALLED OUT

      From the Episcopalian News Service News Briefs, August 28, 2002

      --------

      New Anglican head in Kenya opposed to abortion and homosexuality

      (ENI) Bishop Benjamin Nzimbi, who will be consecrated as the new
      head of the Anglican church in Kenya on September 22, is
      socially conservative and known to be vehemently opposed to
      homosexuality and abortion.

      Currently bishop of Kitui diocese in eastern Kenya, Nzimbi,
      unlike his predecessor, Archbishop David Gitari, does not have a
      reputation for being politically outspoken.

      Nzimbi was declared the new Anglican archbishop on August 16
      after a two-thirds majority vote in an election which took place
      at Nairobi's All Saints Cathedral. After his election, Nzimbi
      told ENI "any new ideas should be theologically sound. We want
      the church to be the church."

      Like Archbishop Livingstone Mpalanyi-Nkoyoyo of neighboring
      Uganda, Nzimbi is vehemently opposed to homosexuality and
      abortion. "My leadership will follow the authority of the
      scriptures," he said in an ENI interview.

      The new archbishop becomes the fourth head of the Anglican
      Church of Kenya and will be enthroned when Gitari formally
      retires in September. Married with five children, Nzimbi was
      first ordained in 1985 as the Bishop of Machakos, before moving
      to Kitui.

      "I know I have a lot of challenges on the road ahead," he said.

      http://finance.yahoo.com