Message from Michael Peers to Primates in the Anglican Communion

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2002
      CALLED OUT INFORMATION SERVICE

      From acc web news, The Anglican Church of Canada
      http://anglican.ca/news

      I believe that the text to Motion 7 mentioned in this letter is at:
      http://www.anglican.ca/news/fyi/ann.html?annItem=2002-06-13_ann3d08b3e056e7b.ann
      The ACC web site is not crystal clear about this.

      ------------------

      The following is the text of a letter from Archbishop Michael Peers
      to the other primates of the Anglican Communion

      The Office of the Primate,
      Anglican Church of Canada
      June 16, 2002

      To the Primates of the Anglican Communion

      Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

      I am writing to convey news of developments in the Diocese of New
      Westminster (Vancouver, British Columbia). At their Synod Friday
      and Saturday, June 14-15, the members of that synod approved the
      development of a rite of blessing for committed same-sex unions.
      In the two previous synods, the clergy and laity had voted in
      favour of such a development, but the Bishop, the Right Reverend
      Michael Ingham, had withheld his consent.

      Bishop Ingham has, in the intervening two years, initiated a
      "listening process" in the diocese, encouraging those of different
      minds on this issue to enter into dialogue. He has consulted with
      the House of Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada, and the
      diocese has sought a legal opinion as to its authority, under the
      canons of the Anglican Church of Canada, to proceed with the
      development of such a rite. In particular, I draw your attention
      to the provision for an Episcopal Visitor to serve the pastoral
      needs of those parishes who desire it. I believe that Bishop
      Ingham and the Diocese of New Westminster have acted responsibly
      in this matter.

      At the same time, I recognize that this development will create
      tension within the diocese, the province, and the communion. All
      the same, I recognize, and ask you to respect, the authority of
      the bishop and synod within the Diocese of New Westminster.

      During our recent meeting in Canterbury, we explored a number of
      principles common to our canon law across the Anglican Communion.
      Among those principles was the understanding that a bishop has no
      authority to intervene in the life of a diocese other than his or
      her own, unless the bishop of that diocese has given permission to
      do so.

      I would welcome your prayers for the Bishop, Synod, and Diocese of
      New Westminster, along with the House of Bishops, the General
      Synod, and the Anglican Church of Canada.

      Finally, I think it important that you see Bishop Ingham's
      proposal, which the synod adopted in "Motion 7". That text is
      appended to this letter.

      Your fellow servant in Christ,
      Michael G. Peers,
      Archbishop and Primate

      --=---
      This list is maintained by the Anglican Church of Canada to provide
      news about the ACC to interested parties. Stories posted to this list
      are archived at http://anglican.ca/news/

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com