PFLAG President Lauds Ministers' Participation in Holy Union

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 1999
      CALLED OUT INFORMATION SERVICE....

      PFLAG PRESS RELEASE

      PFLAG President Lauds Ministers' Participation in Holy Union
      As 69 Methodist Pastors Are Named In Complaint, PFLAG Expresses Support

      PFLAG President (Rev.) Paul Beeman, a retired United Methodist
      Minister, issued the following statement on the March 23 complaint
      against the United Methodist ministers who officiated at the Jan. 16,
      1999, Holy Union of Ellie Charlton and Jeanne Barnett in Sacramento,
      CA:

      "As parents, families and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual and
      transgendered people, we firmly support opportunities for gay people to
      celebrate their love and formalize their commitment to each other, if
      and when they choose.

      "Weddings - whether legalized as marriages or celebrated as holy
      unions - allow us to celebrate our connections. These occasions are
      enriched for many by declarations of religious approval or invocations
      of divine blessing.

      "Our PFLAG families nationwide laud the Reverend Don Fado, minister
      of St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Sacramento, for fulfilling his
      obligation to serve the spiritual needs of all the members of his
      congregation. Similarly, we praise the courage of the ministers who
      participated in this historic coming together.

      "We regret the stance of The United Methodist Church in its ruling
      directing clergy not to perform same-sex unions. The ruling seems to
      disregard the far more inclusive message of the Christian gospel of
      love. It also would seem to violate the denomination's own direction
      to its ministry to serve all members.

      "Those pastors accused in the complaint presented by Bishop Melvin
      Talbert have our praise and support in their challenge to an unjust law.
      And, like Bishop Talbert, we hope that they are judged fairly and with
      the principles of compassion, inclusiveness and acceptance."

      Note: Rev. Paul Beeman is available for interviews.

      PFLAG is non-sectarian, non-denominational and not affiliated with any
      religious institution.