Basic Rights Oregon: Protest of Salvation Army Decision.

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2001

      Basic Rights Oregon is making a response to the Salvation Army's
      decision to withdraw benefits (before they went into effect) from
      those who are not in a mixed gender marriage. It is similar to that
      of PFLAG-- they have a $3 bill with a rainbow and a message to put in
      the kettles. The individual who sent me the information said that,
      so far, no one has offered to "buy" these dollars, as in the case of
      AFA's Gary Glenn in relation to Michigan PFLAG.

      The information is at:
      http://www.basicrights.org/SalvArmy.html

      The background says, in part:

      Our community should be outraged that while on the one hand religious
      conservatives are calling for "national unity," on the other hand
      there is no pretense that that unity includes everyone. In this
      time of national crisis, conservative religious leaders have opposed
      survivor benefits for domestic partners, blamed the terrorist attacks
      on gays and progressives, and continued to lobby against gays in the
      military even as soldiers are sent to risk their lives.

      And now this. I urge you to email Commissioner John Busby, the
      national commander of the Salvation Army, to speak out on this issue,
      at SA_Information@.... Don't be less generous in
      your giving, but give wisely, by choosing the charity that best
      reflects your values, checking out their policies, and giving
      directly to them.

      And when you're out shopping and you see the little red bucket, tell
      the friends you're with about the Salvation Army's policy of
      discrimination. Because in a season of giving, we should value above
      all the gift of human dignity and equality.

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1