Court gives clarity in dealing with gay pastors, bishop says

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2001

      From United Methodist News Service.
      -------------

      Oct. 31, 2001
      Court gives clarity in dealing with gay pastors, bishop says
      A UMNS Report

      By Tim Tanton*

      Following the latest United Methodist Judicial Council decisions
      regarding gay clergy, a few things have become clearer to Bishop
      Elias Galvan, leader of the denomination's Seattle Area.

      First, statements made by two pastors regarding their sexual
      orientation are sufficient to initiate a review process of their
      ministerial standing and relationship to the Pacific Northwest Annual
      Conference, Galvan told United Methodist News Service on Oct. 30. The
      Seattle Area comprises the annual conference.

      Second, the bishop said it's clear that he cannot deny the two
      pastors ministerial appointments. "Therefore, they will be appointed
      immediately, as soon as possible," he said.

      Meeting Oct. 24-26 in Nashville, Tenn., the Judicial Council
      clarified for Galvan's conference the relationship between two
      passages of the denomination's Book of Discipline. The Pacific
      Northwest members had asked the church's supreme court for a
      declaratory decision on what they viewed as conflicting rules: One
      states that "self-avowed practicing homosexuals" should not be
      ordained or appointed to serve in the church; the other requires that
      all clergy members in good standing receive appointments. The two
      pastors, the Rev. Karen Dammann and the Rev. Mark Edward Williams,
      were deemed in good standing.

      In a lengthy and complex decision, the nine-member court ruled that
      the passages are not contradictory. Neither Williams nor Dammann was
      mentioned by name in the decision.

      "We certainly have a little more clarity now as to how those two
      paragraphs relate, given the Judicial Council decision," Galvan said.

      The decision has given the conference a sense of direction about how
      to proceed, he said. "We're going to begin to implement the decision
      of the Judicial Council as best we understand it at the present time.
      It's a long decision, and I'm not sure we understand all the
      implications at this time, but there are a few things that are clear
      to us."

      Williams is being reappointed pastor of his congregation, Woodland
      Park United Methodist Church in Seattle, Galvan said. Williams, who
      had served as pastor, was assigned to a different staff position at
      the church following his announcement at the Pacific Northwest
      Conference's annual gathering last June that he is a practicing gay
      man. The Rev. Bob Hoshibata, Seattle District superintendent, was
      named interim pastor.

      Negotiations are under way with Dammann for an appointment, Galvan
      said.

      Dammann had led a Seattle-area church in 1999 before going on family
      leave. In a Feb. 14 letter to the bishop, she asked to be taken off
      family leave and given an appointment with a local congregation. She
      also told the bishop that she was in a covenanted same-gender
      relationship. Galvan responded that he didn't see how he could give
      her an appointment without violating the Book of Discipline, but that
      her case would be handled through the appropriate process. During the
      annual conference clergy session in June, she was taken off family
      leave, effective July 1, and Galvan did not give her an appointment.

      Following the annual conference, the bishop's office negotiated with
      Williams and Dammann to ensure that they had church work, though not
      clergy appointments. The conference was willing to give Dammann an
      assignment with the full salary and benefits that a pastor would
      receive, but she declined, based in part on the expense involved in
      relocating and the tenuousness of the job pending the Judicial
      Council meeting. Dammann is living in Amherst, Mass., with her
      partner and their small son.

      A third clergyperson, the Rev. Katie Ladd, declared her same-gender
      orientation during the Pacific Northwest's June meeting, but she
      didn't state that she was a practicing lesbian. She was kept on
      disability leave.

      In an Oct. 30 interview, Dammann said Hoshibata had contacted her and
      that they would be discussing her situation.

      "I don't want to shut any doors. I do want to be honest, though, and
      say we have commitments here now," she said, explaining that her
      partner started a new, permanent job two months ago.

      Besides the expense of moving, an additional factor is the awareness
      that "there are people waiting to file charges."

      "The (court's) decision seems to say that my membership should be
      reviewed in light of my revelations," Dammann said. "I think that
      there's a mandate for it in the decision, so I know some sort of
      process will certainly be initiated."

      Though gratified that the court ruled she should be appointed,
      Dammann said, "I certainly don't want to receive an appointment in
      Seattle and then be suspended immediately or shortly thereafter. That
      doesn't seem to be very reasonable."

      The court stated that while the review is under way, "the bishop,
      with the recommendation of the executive committee of the board of
      ordained ministry, shall place the clergy person on suspension" in
      accordance with the Book of Discipline. "The clergy person shall be
      relieved of all clergy duties, but not from appointment during such
      suspension. If the process is not concluded within the period of
      suspension, then the clergy person should be placed on an involuntary
      leave of absence."

      How quickly the review processes for Williams and Dammann will unfold
      is unclear. No one has filed complaints against either pastor, Galvan
      said. The council has said that the bishop or district superintendent
      should file complaints if no one else does.

      A review takes time, and the Book of Discipline specifies a process
      designed to protect the rights of the person involved, Galvan said.
      "We're dealing with the lives of persons and their careers. We want
      to be careful and responsible and follow the Book of Discipline and
      be fair."

      Damman said she was pleased that the Judicial Council came out
      strongly in favor of fair and due process "for people like me."
      However, she also encountered again the strong language of
      incompatibility, she said, a reference to the denomination's official
      stand that the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with
      Christian teaching. "My family and I are being told again ... 'you
      are not compatible with Christian teaching,'" she said.

      "There are some ominous parts to the decision," Dammann continued. "I
      think the mandate to ask questions about genital sexual activity is
      going to be interesting. ... I, for one, don't intend to answer
      questions about specific genital practices with anybody." Such
      questions would be an "incredible invasion of privacy," she said.

      In the decision, the council stated: "If, in the course of such
      (ministerial) review, such person affirms that she is engaged in
      genital sexual activity with a person of the same gender, she would
      have openly acknowledged ... that she is a self-avowed practicing
      homosexual."

      Dammann put the court's decision in the context of the nation's
      current problems. "The thing that really is sad is I think the world
      is watching," she said, "and I think the country is watching, and I
      think they're watching in the backdrop of the real issues of our time
      � terrorism and war and peace and justice. I think it's going to be a
      blow to the church, ultimately." She said people are going to ask:
      What is the United Methodist Church's message?

      Trained in Army chaplaincy, Dammann believes her background would be
      valuable at a time like this. "I have skills that I would love to put
      to work in this time, in this day and age."

      # # #

      *Tanton is news editor for United Methodist News Service

      http://personals.yahoo.com