Gay-Straight Groups; Yahoo

  • CORNET UMC
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2001
      Two stories. One about Gay-Straight Groups and Hate;
      the other about Yahoo! and Hate.

      Coincidentally, this is my first post from our new
      Yahoo! account. I have changed accounts for at least
      three reasons. (1) I have become very frustrated the
      delivery delays (at least to egroups) from the Hotmail
      account, something that does not happen with other
      e-mail accounts I use for egroups. For example, the
      post about Greg Dell went out early on January 2 but
      was not posted until January 3; (2) I am tired of all
      of the porn and other junk mail and seek some relief
      from that; it is at a rate of about 40 pieces of mail
      a day; (3) Yahoo! offers 6 MEG of free space, Hotmail
      2 MEG

      Obviously I have mixed feelings about Yahoo!'s record
      in relation to hate on the Internet.

      ----------------------------

      Education Extra: Gay-straight groups take on campus
      homophobia
      By Pamela Martineau
      Bee Staff Writer
      (Published Jan. 2, 2001)
      http://www.sacbee.com/news/news/local03_20010102.html

      High school. It can be a callous world where even an
      unflattering haircut or uncool brand of jeans invites
      vicious teasing.

      Imagine trying to survive that brutal environment as a
      gay or lesbian student. <MORE>

      --------

      January 3, 2001
      Yahoo to Try Harder to Rid Postings of Hateful
      Material
      By LISA GUERNSEY
      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/03/technology/03YAHO.html

      [A] fter months of pressure from human rights groups
      like the Simon Wiesenthal Center, Yahoo said yesterday
      that it would try more actively to keep hateful and
      violent material out of its auctions, classified
      sections and shopping areas.
      <SNIP>
      Yahoo's new policy applies only to its commerce
      areas. Yahoo's online clubs and home pages, which have
      also come under fire, will not be subject to the
      monitoring program. "There we want to promote
      inclusiveness," Mr. Wrenn said. "We don't want Yahoo
      deciding who can or cannot speak in public debates."
      <MORE>

      http://photos.yahoo.com/