4281The UMC

  • Affirmation: United Methodists
    Jun 30, 2013

      Can we get a 20-percent-off coupon for General Conference?

      by C. Chappell Temple

      Let’s start with the obvious: There is virtually nothing any church committee could do that is worth nearly $100,000 an hour. Yet if the cost projection of $10.8 million for the 2016 General Conference is correct, that is what we will be spending just to gather for our quadrennial assembly in Portland, Ore. That number is not only $2 million more than the price tag of the 2012 meeting in Tampa — which produced virtually no real changes in the corporate ordering of our church — but it is clearly not an acceptable ROI or “return on our investment” of church funds as well.

      http://umcconnections.org/2013/06/20/can-we-get-a-20-percent-off-coupon-for-general-conference/

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic