3255Affirmation Press Release: Season of Pride

  • Gary Shephard UMAffEAdmin
    Aug 11, 2009
      The Season of Pride

      For Immediate Release, Wednesday August 12, 2009

      By Affirmation Co-spokesperson Tim Tennant-Jayne

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and
      Queer Concerns celebrates the recent decisions by the Episcopal Church to
      allow for the ordination of openly lesbian and gay clergy persons as
      bishops, and to encourage bishops to "provide generous pastoral response" to
      same-sex couples being legally married. We join with our brothers and
      sisters in Integrity in observing this momentous occasion. Since 1974,
      Integrity has been a faithful witness of God's inclusive love to the
      Episcopal Church and the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.
      They are working for the full inclusion of all the baptized in all the
      sacraments.

      Those voting at the General Convention in Anaheim, CA, wisely and
      courageously chose to follow their faith in God's love and Christ's example
      of acceptance, rather than seeking to impose unity on the Anglican Communion
      based on a perception of scripture more akin to the Pharisees than Christ.
      These decisions are indeed praiseworthy and one more step to being more
      faithful followers of God's Spirit.

      As United Methodists, we follow in the footsteps of John Wesley, and claim
      the Anglican faith as part of our spiritual ancestry. Our Episcopalian
      sisters and brothers have shown us the direction which we as United
      Methodists must also go. They have made an important and faithful step in
      the direction of living God's love both in our individual lives and in our
      denomination. Affirmation prays and works for the day when United Methodists
      will join with our Episcopalian family in acknowledging that God's call to
      ordained service is not limited to heterosexual persons only, nor are only
      heterosexual relationships acknowledged, honored, and blessed.

      This church season of Pentecost is also a season of Pride. In 1969, our
      queer ancestors rebelled at the Stonewall Inn and marked a change in their
      own and in society's understanding of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender,
      and Queer persons. As we commemorate this fortieth year, we acknowledge the
      number of wonderful accomplishments as well as the disappointing set-backs
      politically. Yet each year brings an increased amount of growth and
      accomplishment. The decisions made at this time by the Episcopal Church are
      a wonderful addition to this special season of Pride.

      -30-

      As an independent voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer
      people, Affirmation radically reclaims the compassionate and transforming
      gospel of Jesus Christ by relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church
      as we journey with the Spirit in creating God's beloved community.

      Affirmation is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization with
      no official ties to The United Methodist Church.

      How to Contact Us: email: umaffirmation@...
      WxFHoxcNSGyRIMDYE4PSWjlmXEi6AYcnW6mc3BeLiZE8NjxhECmkUuaacMrnLEP>
      Affirmation web: http://www.umaffirm.org