2161Unexpected Support for Episcopal Church Action

    Nov 1, 2003
      November 1, 2003
      Unexpected Support for Episcopal Church Action
      by Dan England and Matthew Davies

      On the eve of the consecration of Canon V Gene Robinson as Bishop-
      coadjutor of the Diocese of New Hampshire and the first openly gay
      bishop in the Anglican Communion, a twist.

      It seems students from the University of Durham in New Hampshire,
      will be protesting conservative protestors tomorrow by staging their
      own demonstration and calling for "a more realistic and broadminded
      approach" to the current stance on homosexuality in the Church. One
      of the students, a 21 year-old woman called Nika with a hard-to-miss
      silver ring in her bottom lip, told ACNS/ENS that she had never been
      to church, but was joining the protest. "I am very spiritual," she
      said, "but I'm not much for organised religion." Asked if she'd
      consider actually going to a church that took this kind of action,
      she said, "Yeah, I think I would. Yeah, I'll have to give it a try."

      The American Anglican Council (AAC) will be sending two
      representatives to Durham, New Hampshire during this weekend's
      consecration. The Revd Canon Dr Kendall S. Harmon, Canon Theologian
      for the Diocese of South Carolina, and the Rt Revd David Bena, Bishop
      Suffragan of the Diocese of Albany, will be providing support for New
      Hampshire Episcopalians grieved by the actions of their diocese and
      to also stand with them in opposition to the consecration.

      Ever since the 74th General Convention in Minneapolis, there has been
      a superabundance of opinion that has turned into a struggle over the
      true nature of the Anglican Communion. The conservative contingency
      at tomorrow's consecration will be positioning themselves to contend
      and protest what they see as the demise of traditional scripture
      while others will be observing what they feel is a remarkable turning
      point in the history of the church. The student protesters, many of
      whom are without religious affiliation, go blank when asked about the
      view of the Bible on the question, but seem united that "it's about
      time" when commenting on the event.

      Anglican Communion News Service, London