Bust Sculpture Materials Questions

  • TSL
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2001
      Hello -

      I am interested in being flooded with suggestions on the following:

      While I was at university, I had access to wonderful studios, kilns
      and clays to do busts of both realistic and fantasy oriented
      creatures. Now I find myself wanting to dabble again, but I haven't
      the opportunity. I see my options for creating being limited to one
      of the following plans:

      - papier mache

      - non-drying clay to sculpt and from which to make castings

      - air-dry clay

      - plaster

      My goal is to make light-weight (meaning pieces that might be hollow
      to conserve materials) busts (from the chest up) of human or human-
      like creatures. I'd like to have the satisfaction that I had when
      smoothing clay about with my hands, but it's freedom, versatility,
      low-cost and independence that I'm after above all else.

      I'm new to anything technically beyond sculpting in earthenware clays
      and firing, so I'd love to hear detail of what my options for low-
      tech, non-fired, hand-built items might be.

      Please offer advice if you can...

      Thanks,

      TSL
    • Sculpi
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2001
        Hi TSL

        They make a number of good air dry clays that work fairly well and
        usually aren't too expensive since it has become an alternative for schools
        rather than have kilns.
        When I was in a similar situation to yours I used Super Sculpey, but
        it has gotten pretty expensive to use. You can minimize the amount you
        use by making an armature of wire and foil and a thin skin of Sculpey
        or air dry clay etc. You couldn't do this with fired clay or it would blow
        up! Sculpey bakes in your oven and can have moulds made from it quite
        easily.
        Good luck and please let us know how it goes

        best

        Leila

        Come and visit my Web Page~~UPDATED!!!~~

        http://community.webshots.com/user/sculpi1
        ... Dog's love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people...
          ~~ Freud.
        Age only matters if you're cheese.