new member

  • Silvana
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 7, 2001
      Hi all!
      I am a new member and I want let you know me.
      I am a 39 year old woman and I live in Torino,a city of the North Italy.I starting to use polymer clay in 1997 and now I make only miniature dolls in 1/12 scale.Sometime i use air dry clay for full sculpted body.In Italy is very difficult this work because here we don't find materials and miniature world is not so very expanded but I hope than it change very soon.I start to work at my website and I hope it is all right soon.Now I have only two dolls at Photopoint but I make the pictures quickly and are not the best.....But if you want to see ,let me know what you think.
      Because I don't know if I do all correct,please,respond me numerous so I know that I make OK.I hope you understand me because my english ......I am very happy to join to your list and hope you welcome me.
      Thank you very much
      Silvana from Italy
    • LBS337
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2001
        Silvana, I went to take a look at your dolls. and they are very good. I really like the old man and his beard.
        Keep up the good work.

        | : >} Luv, lenora
        "Life can be hard by the yard,  but a cinch when taken by the inch."

      • Patt
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2001
          Greetings all. I'm hoping you don't think me presumptuous for joining
          the list, being a yank and all. But I'm hungry for ideas!

          My name is Patt, I live in N. Illinois about 1 hour from Chicago.
          I've been a polymer clay artist for 2 years and have my art at 3
          galleries in the states. I recently signed a contract with Coomers
          craft mall which had 20 stores thru out the states. I rented 1 little
          space in 1 little store. :)

          Recent discussion about Future polish: I found something last week
          even better with little odor. There's a product made by Kylon called
          triple thick glaze that works beautifully with polymer clay. It gives
          a glass like finish and adds depth to your clay.

          I'm hoping you'll let me stay on and exchange ideas - even though I'm
          across the water! :)

          Patt
        • Sunni/Colleen
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2001
            hiya patt!! and welcome!! these brits don't seem to mind us colonials
            barging in!!! i'm in oregon, usa! so pitch in and tell us what you're
            manufacturing. do you have clay items only in your little space?

            sunni
            coneron@...
          • Patt
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2, 2001
              Thanks Sunni, I'm glad to be here.

              I pretty much only work with polymer clay. I make the basics: eggs,
              pens, votive holders, vases. Also pendants & misc jewelry, the like.

              I also make ritual items i.e. goddess sculptures and rune sets and am
              now working on sacred yoni pendants that are enclosed in ss lock tite
              mountings for my group.

              I went to your site and saw pagan influence there, lovely.

              The guild here seems very organized and professional, something I
              lack. The work in the files is beautiful.

              Thanks again,
              Patt

              --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "Sunni/Colleen" <coneron@c...> wrote:
              > hiya patt!! and welcome!! these brits don't seem to mind us
              colonials
              > barging in!!! i'm in oregon, usa! so pitch in and tell us what
              you're
              > manufacturing. do you have clay items only in your little space?
              >
              > sunni
              > coneron@c...
            • Evelyn Rulffs
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2001
                Hi Patt!

                Welcome inside!! Off course you are welcome!! I'm Danish and spend a
                lot of time on the US groups and forums, so why shouldn't you come in
                here?!

                -Evelyn
                http://www.geocities.com/evelynspoly/

                --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "Patt " <luna_47@h...> wrote:
                > Greetings all. I'm hoping you don't think me presumptuous for
                joining
                > the list, being a yank and all. But I'm hungry for ideas!
                >
                > My name is Patt, I live in N. Illinois about 1 hour from Chicago.
                > I've been a polymer clay artist for 2 years and have my art at 3
                > galleries in the states. I recently signed a contract with Coomers
                > craft mall which had 20 stores thru out the states. I rented 1
                little
                > space in 1 little store. :)
                >
                > Recent discussion about Future polish: I found something last week
                > even better with little odor. There's a product made by Kylon
                called
                > triple thick glaze that works beautifully with polymer clay. It
                gives
                > a glass like finish and adds depth to your clay.
                >
                > I'm hoping you'll let me stay on and exchange ideas - even though
                I'm
                > across the water! :)
                >
                > Patt
              • Lorna Bambury
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                  Dear friends,

                  I am a new member of this group, entirely inexperienced, in fact I haven't used poly clay yet. I am a calligrapher and want to use text of various kinds on flat clay. A friend in Idaho gave me a book with lovely covers made in this way.

                  My first question is what kinds of ovens are available? Do you use your domestic ovens? Or is there a craft catalogue which advertises such things?

                  Thank you in advance for any help. Oh, and are there are courses as there are for calligraphy?

                  Yours,
                  Lorna Bambury
                  Great Bookham, Surrey.

                • Sunni
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                    welcome Lorna and Ann! I'm Sunni from Oregon, USA - token colonial... *wink*
                    i can't help much with ovens in the UK, but i can help with lessons. Please
                    go to the PCCyclopedia and read about baking then bop out to get a
                    thermometer.

                    http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/cyclopedia/baking.html

                    then check out my webpage geared just for newbies at

                    http://sunnisan.com/crafts/newbilnx.html

                    that should get ou started. this list is a little slow, but there's always
                    someone to answer any questions you post to the list. if you get bit by the
                    clay bug, welcome to a new addiction!! Lorna - i can hardly wait to see your
                    calligraphy with clay!!

                    Sunni Bergeron
                    Claypage: http://sunnisan.com/crafts/polyclay.html
                    Newbie Links: http://sunnisan.com/crafts/newbilnx.html
                    MegaLinks for all things clay: http://sunnisan.com/crafts/claylinx.html
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                      Hi there Lorna and welcome. I admire anyone that can do caligraphy,
                      my writing stinks, even when I'm trying to be neat!

                      Yes ordinary domestic ovens are fine. The most important bit of
                      equipment being the oven thermometer to check that it reaches the
                      right temperature and doesn't spike. I use a toaster ovens but it
                      isn't strictly necessary. My ordinary oven is fan assisted and I find
                      when I put anything in it on paper the fan lifts the paper and moves
                      things about - can't rely on it even if I try and weight it down in
                      the corners! So for me the toaster oven is ideal.

                      There are loads of books to help you get started, as well as on-line
                      tutorials. http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/ is a great place on-
                      line for people sharing.

                      There is also the British Polymerclay Guild
                      http://www.heaser.demon.co.uk/polyclay/guild/britpol.htm They are in
                      the throws of organising a larger 2 day retreat/workshop whatever you
                      call it next April in Loughborough.

                      Hope that helps a bit.

                      Shelley
                      http://www.shelleym.co.uk
                    • Lorna Bambury
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                        Hi Sunni and Shelley,

                        Thanks for your welcome and for the helpful sites. I daresay a workshop
                        would be a good way to start. I have a lovely book with clay covers that a
                        calligraphy friend in Idaho made for me which makes me long to have a go -
                        as long as I don't poison the household with fumes. I'd be glad to hear
                        what a "toaster" oven is and where you can get them.

                        Yours, Lorna
                      • Sunni
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                          here's a link to toaster ovens in the USA - you prolly have some equivalent
                          in europe. if you buy one of ours, you'll need some kind of adapter for your
                          outlets and power differences. buy the cheapies and pick one (for
                          convenience) with a timer. all brands are about equal and expensive ones are
                          no more reliable than the cheapies. i love my toaster oven, but -
                          amazingly - i have one that holds a steady temp. i also put broken red
                          bricks in the bottom of my toaster oven to help hold the heat longer. in my
                          wife's large electric kitchen oven i have a stepping stone on the lower rack
                          and red bricks - broken and whole - lining the bottom to increase the time
                          in the temperature swing. rocks, concrete, bricks (red or those used in
                          kilns for firing pottery) and terra cotta all absorb and conduct heat
                          beautifully. also helps in the kitchen oven when baking ::gasp:: food!

                          http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/search/search.xpml?cat_id=13050806&keywor
                          d=toaster%20oven&de_id=211&lp=2&mkt_id=870414&rf=ggl&url_id=71017

                          Sunni Bergeron
                          My Claypages: http://sunnisan.com/crafts/polyclay.html

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 9, 2002
                            Dear Lorna-

                            I was told that a toaster oven that is dedicated soley to PC baking is
                            best because PC gives off toxic fumes when accidently overcooked. ANd as
                            careful as you can be, sometimes it happens... I bought one at Argos and
                            I can't remember the brand right now but it was around £30. I keep a
                            thermometer in it to gage the temperature. Try the "Trade IT" paper too-
                            you can probably get a more expensive model at a bargain through there.

                            Lori

                            On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Lorna Bambury wrote:

                            > Dear friends,
                            >
                            > I am a new member of this group, entirely inexperienced, in fact I haven't used poly clay yet. I am a calligrapher and want to use text of various kinds on flat clay. A friend in Idaho gave me a book with lovely covers made in this way.
                            >
                            > My first question is what kinds of ovens are available? Do you use your domestic ovens? Or is there a craft catalogue which advertises such things?
                            >
                            > Thank you in advance for any help. Oh, and are there are courses as there are for calligraphy?
                            >
                            > Yours,
                            > Lorna Bambury
                            > Great Bookham, Surrey.

                          • michelle
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 22, 2003
                              Hi everyone,

                              I'm just a complete beginner using polymer clay. I bought some books
                              about polymer clay, and it seems really interesting, since I love
                              modeling work, but I use sugar as a medium, so It's edible! I'd love
                              to try other medium, such as polymer clay.
                              The thing is, I couldn't find any good modeling material shop in
                              London (especially for polymer clay). Does anybody know?
                              I'd appreciate any help.

                              Kindest Regards,
                              Michelle
                            • Shelley
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 23, 2003
                                Hi Michelle and welcome.

                                Well we were all beginners with polyclay at some time - you have to
                                start somewhere! I've never modelled with sugar and can't model
                                things to save my life so I admire anyone that can.

                                I am afraid not being in the London area I can't help you there with
                                modelling materials etc. I have a feeling that it's fairly dire in
                                London for hobby and craft type shops.

                                As for buying polyclay Sue Heaser sells clay through her polyclay
                                pit http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/ and another member here Emma
                                also sells polyclay. Emma lives in London but she doesn't have a
                                shop, she mainly sells through rubber stamping shows. She does a
                                heck of a lot of other stuff other than polyclay - tons of pearl-ex
                                and stamps and all sorts. If you want her contact details e-mail me
                                off list and I'll send them to you. I've no idea where she does her
                                shows but it's quite likely to be in the London area. I know she has
                                a show this weekend.

                                Anyways, good to have you here and if you have any questions, ask
                                away!

                                Shelley
                                http://www.shelleym.co.uk