New idea for conditioning clay (who needs a pasta machine!) and sore backs.

  • Robin Gisborne
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2000
      Having read several people saying things about carpal tunnel etc and crumbly clay, just thought I'd share with you lot my solution to crumbly clay and even a sore back.
      Get a piece of fabric about the size of a small pillowcase(be PATIENT, I am getting to a point), fold it in half and hem down the two long sides and one short one.
      Turn it inside out and the sew three long lines of stitching along from one short end to the other, an equal distance apart.
      Now, you should have something that looks like a pillowcase with four long channels in it, open at the top.
      Half fill each channel with wheat and add a little dried lavender if you like. DO NOT be tempted to use fragrant oil instead it can make the wheat cook when you warm it up. Skip the lavender if you don't have any. Stich up the open ends of the channels and then pop in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. This will vary depending on your microwave. Don't put it in for much longer than that as you want to heat the wheat, not cook it.
      How does this condition clay?
      Put your crumbly clay in a plastic bag(so it won't fall out all over the place), fold your new back warmer/clay conditioner in half and slip the clay in the middle. It will be warm enough to soften the clay and make it workable. Take it out after a few minutes and see if it's soft enough-if not, put it back for a bit longer.
      No crumbly clay? Put it on your sore back or aching muscles.
      I don't have money for expensive solutions so I look for simple things that do the trick. And it smells nice too. Better than a hot water bottle for the kids in winter as it doesn't leak. Hope this helps.
      From Robin in Oz