Re: Home again!

  • Margaret Reid
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2000
      Hello everyone! Just a quick note to say I've returned from my travels,
      and have even mostly recovered from jetlag! I had a great trip to the
      US, visiting family, attending Ravensdale, and teaching classes in San
      Diego and San Jose. Those palm trees in San Diego! They make the place
      seem so exotic!

      Although fewer people attended this time, Ravensdale was still a super
      event. Tory Hughes' three-day class was a hoot. Learning to make Gwen
      Gibson's pendant boxes was very worthwhile and good fun too.

      Margaret
    • Shelley McLoughlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000

        >Although fewer people attended this time, Ravensdale was still a super
        >event. Tory Hughes' three-day class was a hoot. Learning to make Gwen
        >Gibson's pendant boxes was very worthwhile and good fun too.

        So glad you had a good trip. I'd love to know more of things at Ravensdale.
        I know you can't share any techniques with us, but any other info you can
        share or any picy's for us to see? I would have loved to have gone - I would
        just die to be able to attend one of Mike B's classes.

      • The Crafty Owl
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2000
          Just to let you folk know I'm going to be away for a fortnight or so.
          Take care, be well.
          ___
          <*,*>
          {'-'} The Crafty Owl
          -"-"-
        • Margaret Reid
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2000
            Hi Shelley

            I'm picking the pikkies up today and will sort them out and scan & post
            them when I can. No promises though - I've got a swap to finish!

            Apart from being given a motor and some handouts in Tory's class, there
            weren't any special techniques. Tory showed us some things she'd made
            using a motor, and how she made a shaft/axle to fit the motor. Apart
            from that we just had to basically get on with it and make something
            that moved by the end of the three days.

            Other info - well take an extra blanket or sweater next time I go - it
            was cold! I slept in my sweater a couple of nights! A flashlight or
            portable spotlight would have been useful too as the lighting in the
            shop was terrible. And loadsa dosh so you can buy out the shop - Premo
            in 1 lb bricks, tools galore, Pearl-Ex and other powders - and all the
            items placed on commission by attendees and tutors: work by Tory
            Hughes, Pier Voulkos, Celie Fago, Mike Buessler, Margaret Maggio, Lindly
            Haunani, Karen Lewis (aka Klew), etc etc etc. What a feast of polymer
            delights. I heard "Thank you for shopping at Klay-Mart" from Howard
            Segal more than once! And of course there's the sense of camaraderie -
            everyone else there is just as keen on polymer clay as you. It's a
            wonderfully supportive atmosphere.

            I'll let you know when I get pikkies up!

            Margaret