GCSE results

  • Shelley McLoughlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2000
      >***CONGRATULATIONDS*** you must be sooooo proud..

      I am - that's why I just had to boast here about it!!!

      >im trying so hard to find where in Cardiff
      >i can get hold of the clay

      I agree with Elise - contact Sue Heaser at the claypit. She's wonderful for
      all UK poly needs. You also get a 10% discount if you're a member of the
      British Polymer Clay Guild.

      >oh i hope you
      >dont mind i have added you to my(Y) contact list, but
      >i will understand if you would rsather not ok

      That's fine - no problems.

      Shelley
    • Shelley McLoughlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2000
        >Congratulations from helene in Denmark. All that talk about your schooling
        system made my head spin, but that's because it seems to be very different
        from ours. How old is your son, about 18 ??, would help to put his place in
        relation to our system, if you know what I mean.

        This is where it gets a little complicated regarding age! We spent a year in
        Canada and when we came back to England he was too late to start the two
        year GCSE course. The school year runs from September to July and he started
        school in March so he had missed quite a lot of the course. So it was
        decided to put him back a year. Normally the GCSE course starts in the
        school year in which you will become 15 and ends after they have turned 16.
        Leigh was 17 in February of this year so he's quite a bit older than his
        friends (he's now just started driving lessons). While in Canada he had been
        home schooled (that's a whole other story) and basically he had missed a
        whole year of school while we where away so putting him back to get used to
        school again was a good idea. After finishing GCSE's at 16 they have the
        choice of leaving and finding work (not a good choice) or staying on either
        at school (if the school has a 6th form to continue their education) or
        going to college. This is usually to do a 2 year course either with academic
        qualifications like A levels in their chosen subjects - this will lead them
        on to continuing their education at university if they want - or a more
        vocational course (a more 'hands on' type course) such as beauty therapy,
        hair dressing, business administration, nursery nursing, child care,
        carpentry, electrical installation - that sort of thing. The education
        system is currently changing and from this year there is also a possibility
        of being able to do courses that combine both A levels and vocational
        subjects. I hope this makes sense to you! If anyone can explain it better -
        feel free!

        My son is doing the straight A level option. He had the choice of staying at
        school as his school does have a 6th form, or going to college. But the
        college wasn't offering the technology (graphics) course he wanted to do,
        and as he doesn't drive (yet) he would have to go by bus which is quite a
        trek and would take him quite a while. So he will be staying on at school
        for his A levels.

        Sorry about this being so long and complicated!