Re: file added

  • Shelley McLoughlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
      Leisa,

      Love your mirrors. What sort of size are they? They are beautiful I
      especially like the filigree covered one. Did you cover a frame or put the
      clay straight on the mirror?

      I make jewellery, but I recently covered a mirror as my old one that I use
      for customers to view potential purchases had broken (I knelt on it while
      putting things away!) I was really pleased with it and several people have
      said I should make more and try and sell some. Trouble is it took forever
      and used an awful lot of clay. I know it wouldn't be worth my while to try
      and make them quite like that to sell (not if I can only get about £10 for a
      mirror that takes me 4 hours and uses two packs of clay!) What I would like
      to do is get some mirrors with a frame and just embelish the corners with
      clay, but I haven't a clue where to get mirrors cheaply in larger quantities
      than 1.

      Where do you get your mirrors if you don't mind me asking. Any mirror
      covering tips?

      Shelley
      http://homepages.tesco.net/~mcloughlin/shellpag.htm

      >I've added a scan of some of my polymer clay mirrors to the shared
      >files for you to have a look at..let me know what you think!
      >
      >Leisa :)
    • Leisa Webb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2000
        Hi Shelly,

        First of all, thank you!!! :)

        The mirrors are about the same size as on the scan, I don't have the
        patience to do anything very big (so many projects, so little time
        LOL), also I've found the small ones sell more easily.

        I make them by rolling out a fairly thin sheet of clay (about halfway
        along on the pasta machine settings), I then lie the mirror face up
        on this and cut the edge to whatever shape. Then I make another sheet
        the same thickness, and put that on top, smooth the edges together,
        and cut out the aperture you can see the mirror through..then I put
        the decoration on (does that make sense???) It's quite quick and only
        uses about 1 pack of clay for a small mirror.

        The filigree effect was something I saw in Donna Kato's book, she
        made some filigree beads, but I adapted the idea slightly for a
        mirror.

        I get my mirrors from my local Hobbycraft shop, they work out at
        about 1-2 for about £1 depending on the size..the mirror for the
        gold
        square one I scanned is one of these, I think I got 2 of those for
        about £1..if you wanted something bigger, have you thought about
        mirror tiles from a DIY store? I've only ever seen square ones and
        you have to buy a few, but it might be worth looking into! (Just
        don't start asking the assistants if you can put any useful looking
        stuff you might see in there in the oven..take it from me, they think
        you're REALLY strange LOL)

        One last idea..I made some pendants in the same way as the mirrors
        using sisha glass mirrors that are normally used for embroidery-
        those sold well and also looked nice displayed with the mirrors.

        BTW if you've got a scanner, I would love to see your mirror!

        Well, I think I've talked enough for now! Chat to you all soon,

        Leisa :)

        --- In UKPolyClay@egroups.com, "Shelley McLoughlin" <shelleym@t...>