Margaret's bowl

  • Tom Ingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hi everyone!

      Margaret - your bowl is fantastic! It looks like some mysterious ancient rellic and the handles are very inventive! How big is it roughly, and what brand of clay is it made of? (P.S nice photo).
      I have been continuing my experiments with translucent liquid sculpey (tls) and found you can also transfer newspaper print and black and white photocopies very well, as well as the colour images from magazines. You can also encapsulate decorated watercolour paper and see the design through the clay if you place it face down, and then coat the back so the image has the shiny side.
      I recieved my clear cold enamel through the post today, so I'm looking forward to a fun packed weekend. The housework can wait!

      bye for now,
      Alison Ingham.
    • Margaret Reid
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2000
        Hi Alison I. (to distinguish from Alison G.)
        Thanks! The bowl part is 5" dia. x 3" tall, more or less. You can't
        see the legs, which are short curved tusks. Obviously the handles stick
        out further than the 5". I used Premo and Creall-therm because that's
        what I had in easy grabbing distance. The little dots at the ends of
        the scales are no-hole glass beads.

        TLS is fun, isn't it? Shame it stinks so much. Have you read Jody
        Bishel's FAQ at http://www0.delphi.com/polymerclay/pcc/liquidscfaq.html
        ? According to Jody you can also colour it with oil paints or Pearl-ex
        powders. Now if only I could find somewhere nearby that sells oil paint
        . . .

        Donna Kato recently did a technique on US TV she calls 'encapsulated
        transfers'. Of course I didn't see it but heard about it on another
        list. She uses translucent clay but it could possibly be adapted to
        TLS. The link to the directions is:
        http://www.hgtv.com/shows/CDS/cds-735.html Gwen Gibson also does
        something similar, her site is at http://www.gwengibson.com

        Not that you really need ideas . . .