re: Ginette's career in art

  • suzannt@xxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 1969
      Hi Ginette.

      I read something today that reminded me of your experience with the
      so-called career professional. It's a quote from 'Creating a Life Worth
      Living' by Carol Lloyd. Her book guides creative folks through the process
      of developing a career for themselves. Here's the quote:

      "Some of my students had already gone to traditional career counselors and
      had been disappointed [sound familiar??]. . .Artists and other innovators
      face substantially different obstacles in creating a career. Old-fashioned
      career advice is largely irrelevant. People who want to live a creative
      life must create their lives in entirely their own way."

      Hope it makes you feel better.

      Suzann
    • Kirsty Darbyshire
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 1999
        > "Some of my students had already gone to traditional career counselors and
        > had been disappointed [sound familiar??]. . .Artists and other innovators
        > face substantially different obstacles in creating a career.
        > Old-fashioned career advice is largely irrelevant. People who want to
        > live a creative life must create their lives in entirely their own way."

        Just a quick note, on a completely un-polyclay related note.
        Careers advisors don't seem to be any better at technical careers.
        Only about 10 or 12 years ago at school I got completely blanked
        on wanting a career to do with computers (a passing fad that would
        never last...). The advisor had a list of my school grades and a list
        of professions and was trying to tell me to be an accountant, an
        actuary or a translator. Now I'm a happy software engineer,
        internet bod and web bod and am glad I never took their advice and
        went in for actuary work (which has largely been overtaken by
        computers I believe :-) )

        Do whatever makes you happy, try to pay the rent, and you'll find
        the pot of gold at the end of your own personal rainbow! (or
        something, I seem to have gone all philosophical, mumble, mumble)

        There must be some good careers advisors somewhere?

        > Hope it makes you feel better.

        Makes me feel better, Suzann!

        ObPolyClay: Just got my UKPCG newsletter, haven't had a chance
        to read it all yet, but the colour pictures are lovely. You're all so
        clever, I'm in awe!

        thanks
        kirsty

        + Kirsty Darbyshire +
        + kirsty@... *Loquax* +
        + Competitons, Games, Postcards +
        + http://i.am/kirsty/ http://www.loquax.com/ +
      • Ginette Rae
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 1999
          Hi Suzann.

          Today I've been going thru my e-mails, picking out all the instructional information and setting it aside in my special folder. I opened this email, my first thought was, oh my I haven't written to anyone for a while what could this be? After reading I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Suzann and Everyone you are so wonderful in your support of my dilemma. I was very upset for a long while, I even stopped sculpting (for just a short time), but all of you have shown me a lot and I can only hope that I'm able to repay you some day with the same support or whatever. Maybe come to Canada, I'll show you around! I am trying to create my own creative life/career (thanks you all of you and my very dear husband).

          To all of you - if you ever think that your words sometimes go unheard or you are feeling low, please believe me they are heard AND appreciated! More than you know. Kirsty, I admire you for standing your ground and not listening. I'm trying to take the same path.

          Now I'm babbling, etc. Yes you certainly did make my day today Suzann. I will have a new Father Christmas up on my site soon. I'll let everyone know and maybe you can let me know how I'm doing. <g>

          Best wishes to Everyone Everywhere
          INSPIRATION IS JUST A GLANCE AWAY
          ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK

          Always, Ginette Rae