Re: Mixtures

  • Margaret Reid
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 1999
      Hi Alison & Kerie

      Sue's general advice is to not mix different clays together, as in using
      white Fimo and alizarin Premo to get pink.

      I've also noticed the tendency of Premo sheets to shatter/crack easily
      when cut - using a tissue blade seems to help. I've been trimming
      slivers off baked pieces. Perhaps scoring before/after baking, then
      snapping the pieces apart would work?

      There don't seem to be any problems applying sheets of one clay to
      another - at worst the applied bits would fall off. One way to get
      around this (and double your work <g>) would be to press the bits in,
      take them out, bake the large piece and superglue the bits back in. Or
      just press the bits in, see if they can be pried out after baking, then
      glue them in. Or just superglue them in the first place - Kris Richards
      superglues raw clay to surfaces, e.g. boxes, then bakes it. I tried it
      and it works. You may want to do this anyway, because if you're
      applying the bits to a powdered piece of clay they may not stick very
      well. On the other hand, if you varnish the finished piece that should
      help attach the bits. Want any more loopy ideas? Now you know where to
      write . . .

      Margaret

      --
      Visit the British Guild's website!