Re: Airy sheets

  • Margaret Reid
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 1999
      Hi Angie (and Sheila)

      I'd like to know the answer to this one too! It may partly depend on
      the clay, and how long it's been conditioned (more runs through pasta
      machine = fewer bubbles (I think)). I've been making sheets from black
      clay, and Fimo seems the worst. Partly it's because I've then been
      sanding it heavily to get a very smooth, shiny surface, but keep running
      into pits caused by air bubbles. Of the samples I haven't sanded,
      Creall-therm shows a few bubbles. Premo shows none at all.

      Baking on a piece of paper will let trapped air escape from underneath
      the sheet. Weight the top either during baking or during cooling to
      keep it flat.

      HTH,
      Margaret
      Visit the British Guild's website!