Is there a UK version of Varathane?

  • Anne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2010
      Hello! I'm new to this group and hope that someone can tell me if there
      is something like Varathane diamond finish here in the UK? I usually
      use Johnson's Klear floor finish, but find it a little too thin for some
      projects and also, it makes the metallic powders turn green and dull. I
      have been tempted to try Ronseal water based varnish, but am reluctant
      because I know that some varnishes can react badly with polymer clay and
      also being water based, would turn the metallic powder green. Any help
      on this would be wonderful.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/artjewellery/
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/artjewellery/>

      Many thanks

    • Anne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2010
        Hello, I apologize in advance in case this message is duplicated. I
        posted a question before I got my group welcome email. I'm from
        Nottinghamshire in the UK and new to this group and wonder if anyone can
        help me with this question please? I keep reading about Varathane
        diamond varnish and know that we can't get this here. I would suspect
        that it is just like Ronseal water based / polyurethane type of thing,
        but am reluctant to try it in case it reacts badly with the polymer
        clay. I would normally use Johnson's Klear floor finish, but find that
        it turns the metallic powders green and dulls metal leaf as well as
        being a bit too thin for some projects. I have also come across a
        product called Diamond Glaze, but again, this appears to be unobtainable
        in the UK. I would be really grateful if anyone in the UK knows of a
        good substitute for these items, bearing in mind, the problems with the
        metallic finishes that I sometimes use.

        Many thanks
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/artjewellery/
        <http://www.flickr.com/photos/artjewellery/>

      • kizzybeads
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2012
          Hiya....I used Klear by Johnsons but it's now out of production...I've also got another Johnsons floor shine product but the name escapes me atm...I'll check when I pop into my studio later.....U can also use modeling varnish...again I'll check out the name of it for you!

          Karen AKA KizzyBeads