Oven type

  • Jacqui
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
      Do any of you use a gas oven to bake clay? Although I have not yet
      done any clay work, as I am still waiting for my dh to reconnect our
      older cooker which was to be removed for additional cupboard space, I
      have got my daughter hooked on clay.I told her she had to look at my
      excellant book about polymer clay jewellery, while on a brief
      infrequent visit home, and has gone back to her own flat determined to
      start with some teddy bears. Her oven is gas, so I have tried to find
      info which mentions gas ovens, however all seem to imply electic,
      therefore I am concerned that it may be dangerous to bake in an oven
      with actual flames. If so I will advise her to wait and get a small
      toaster oven. I hope someone is able to answer my question soon,
      because I think she is now so keen to start I will need to warn her
      before any problems occur. Jacqui
    • Esther Reeves
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
        I've used a gas oven and never heard of any suggestion that you shouldn't..
        Obviously don't put the clay near the flame but that would go for anything
        you cook :) You have to have something right at the back of the bottom shelf
        to get near the flame normally so i wouldn't worry.

        Esther

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2006
          Hi Jacqui,

          Lots of people have used gas ovens to bake their polyclay, with no
          problems at all.

          I've just checked GlassAttic and as far as I can see, very little is
          mentioned regarding any gas/electrical baking differences.

          The only small proviso I'd mention is that, as the heat is almost
          certain to originate from the lower part of the oven (unless it has a
          grill-type burner in the oven top too) so, it may be necessary to
          protect the underside of the pieces from excessive heat directly from
          the burners.

          If you/your daughter puts the bears on something like a thick glazed
          tile or an oven-proof dish for baking (anything to deflect and ballast
          the radiant heat from the flames), they shouldn't get browned bear
          behinds!

          Alan

        • barmycreator@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2006
            Thank you Alan and Esther for your quick replies. Will tell my daughter not
            to burn her teddies behinds, but to do what you suggested. Jacqui

          • Regina Passy-Yip
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2006
              I use gas oven with no problem, adjust to low temperature and use for 20 minutes.

              Regina Passy-Yip

              www.reginapassy.com.br

            • tj tj
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2006
                can some one tell me whats the difference between a gas oven and a normal oven , i am kinda confused ...??
                thanks
                tj

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
                  In a message dated 05/07/2006 23:16:52 GMT Daylight Time, tj3_6@...
                  writes:

                  can some one tell me whats the difference between a gas oven and a normal
                  oven , i am kinda confused ...??
                  thanks
                  tj

                  I was simply wondering if there would be any problem with an oven that is
                  fuelled by gas and therefore has a naked flame, as information I have come
                  across refers either to toaster ovens or larger ovens by temperature in degrees,
                  which seems to imply ovens fuelled by electricity. Never found a gas regulo
                  mentioned. OK for me, I have an electric oven, but my daughter has gas. Sorry
                  you got confused, I often have this effect, even on myself. Jacqui

                • Regina Passy-Yip
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
                    Sorry Tj,
                    in Brazil we call a conventional oven, of "gas oven".
                    So, I use a conventional oven to bake my clays.

                    Regina Passy-Yip

                    www.reginapassy.com.br