Re: Boil yer Fimo

  • list@polyopoly.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006
      There are two schools of thought on this:

      1. It works
      2. It can't possibly work because boiling water, at 100C, can't
      possibly reach the correct curing temperature of 130C.

      For various views, visit www.glassattic.com, in particular http://
      glassattic.com/polymer/MainPages/baking.htm#otherwayscure
      Glassattic is an all-round great resource for things polymer.

      Margaret
    • Vickie Kostecki
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
        Yeah, that's what I thought, that since the temp never gets high enough it
        shouldn't work.
        As a test I used it to boil some eyeballs (sounds lovely, I know) so they
        would be pre-done for dollheads and they came out nice and white compared to
        the ones I did in the oven at the same time which came out a little bit off
        colour. They seem nice and hard (i.e. they seem cooked). When I did a larger
        item it seemed to work okay as well (only trouble was as it had a core of
        tinfoil it tended to float to the top of the pot).

        Vickie

        On 3/29/06, list@... <list@...> wrote:

        > There are two schools of thought on this:
        >
        > 1. It works
        > 2. It can't possibly work because boiling water, at 100C, can't
        > possibly reach the correct curing temperature of 130C.
        >
        > For various views, visit www.glassattic.com, in particular http://
        > glassattic.com/polymer/MainPages/baking.htm#otherwayscure
        > Glassattic is an all-round great resource for things polymer.
        >
        > Margaret

      • greendreamray
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
          Wow that's facinating! Have they had any defects at all? Crumbly? (I half imagine them to be crumbly). Do they look like normally baked clay pieces (besides better colour)? and does only Fimo work? or have you done it with other brands?
          I think I'd like to try that sometime, especially for the eyeballs! mine also go off-colour!

          Thanks for the inspiration!
          *Hugs*
          Chrissie Rae

          Vickie Kostecki <aethelberga@...> wrote: As a test I used it to boil some eyeballs (sounds lovely, I know) so they

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
            I should probably have been more specific. It was Fimo and Sculpey (I tend
            to call it all Fimo no matter what brand it is). They were not crumbly (I
            really tried to squish an eyeball and I was not able to). The larger
            pieces I have boiled were more easily carved with a knife than baked ones.
            On the darker pieces there was a faint whitish haze, but that sanded right
            off (could have been the crappy aluminum pot I was using).

            Vickie