Boil yer Fimo

  • aethelberga
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2006
      Hi everyone,
      I've been reading the posts in this group for a while now, and finally
      have a question of my own. Does anyone have any opinions on boiling
      polymer clay as opposed to baking it? I find it keeps the colour
      brighter, though sometimes there is a sort of whitish haze on dark
      colours. Anything?

      Vickie
    • ross smart
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006
        hi - how does that work (I'm new to it all) how long and how do you keep temp control - I thought that was important - I like the idea though

        ross
        aethelberga <aethelberga@...> wrote:
        Hi everyone,
        I've been reading the posts in this group for a while now, and finally
        have a question of my own. Does anyone have any opinions on boiling
        polymer clay as opposed to baking it? I find it keeps the colour
        brighter, though sometimes there is a sort of whitish haze on dark
        colours. Anything?

        Vickie

        Hobby and craft supply Polymer clay Polymer clay beads Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

        ---------------------------------

      • June
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006
          Hi Vickie
          I have never heard of boiling it, but i would like to
          know more as i am a novice
          Hugs
          June

        • list@polyopoly.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006
            There are two schools of thought on this:

            1. It works
            2. It can't possibly work because boiling water, at 100C, can't
            possibly reach the correct curing temperature of 130C.

            For various views, visit www.glassattic.com, in particular http://
            glassattic.com/polymer/MainPages/baking.htm#otherwayscure
            Glassattic is an all-round great resource for things polymer.

            Margaret
          • Vickie Kostecki
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
              Yeah, that's what I thought, that since the temp never gets high enough it
              shouldn't work.
              As a test I used it to boil some eyeballs (sounds lovely, I know) so they
              would be pre-done for dollheads and they came out nice and white compared to
              the ones I did in the oven at the same time which came out a little bit off
              colour. They seem nice and hard (i.e. they seem cooked). When I did a larger
              item it seemed to work okay as well (only trouble was as it had a core of
              tinfoil it tended to float to the top of the pot).

              Vickie

              On 3/29/06, list@... <list@...> wrote:

              > There are two schools of thought on this:
              >
              > 1. It works
              > 2. It can't possibly work because boiling water, at 100C, can't
              > possibly reach the correct curing temperature of 130C.
              >
              > For various views, visit www.glassattic.com, in particular http://
              > glassattic.com/polymer/MainPages/baking.htm#otherwayscure
              > Glassattic is an all-round great resource for things polymer.
              >
              > Margaret

            • greendreamray
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
                Wow that's facinating! Have they had any defects at all? Crumbly? (I half imagine them to be crumbly). Do they look like normally baked clay pieces (besides better colour)? and does only Fimo work? or have you done it with other brands?
                I think I'd like to try that sometime, especially for the eyeballs! mine also go off-colour!

                Thanks for the inspiration!
                *Hugs*
                Chrissie Rae

                Vickie Kostecki <aethelberga@...> wrote: As a test I used it to boil some eyeballs (sounds lovely, I know) so they

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
                  I should probably have been more specific. It was Fimo and Sculpey (I tend
                  to call it all Fimo no matter what brand it is). They were not crumbly (I
                  really tried to squish an eyeball and I was not able to). The larger
                  pieces I have boiled were more easily carved with a knife than baked ones.
                  On the darker pieces there was a faint whitish haze, but that sanded right
                  off (could have been the crappy aluminum pot I was using).

                  Vickie