Silicone grease aerosols

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2005
      Hi Shelley,

      I understand, if you can, actual shopping wins over the virtual
      variety every time.

      I've had my large can of Electrosil for years - as you know, one only
      needs a tiny amount to do the job (and most of it should be wiped out
      of the mould before use!) I've just done a search for the product and
      despite the fact that the Sunderland based company is mentioned, I
      can't find anywhere which currently sells the product.Maybe that
      brand's gone now.

      I've checked at you-know-where (Maplin - the-shop-that-must-not-be-
      named - the Voldemort of the high street) and they do have a very
      similar product 'Silicone Grease with PTFE' in aerosol form - it's
      reference is N71AN.

      The fact that the Maplin product has fine PTFE dust in it won't do
      any harm - it must be extremely finely divided in order to pass the
      nozzle of the aerosol, and so won't show on the clay.

      Here's the online reference - just in case....

      http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?
      ModuleNo=30030&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=9&doy=7m4
      (hope that works - if not, just do a search for the product code at
      their site)

      Alternatively, you could try anywhere that sells materials for
      fibreglass moulding (boatbuilders, caravan refurbishers etc etc) -
      they're bound to have some silicone-based releasant.

      (even WD40 will work but it may shorten the life of the mould)

      Hope that helps.