Re: Pasta machines

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
      Hi Esther,

      Thanks for the information.

      May I offer a small note of caution?

      The cheaper machines are great for clay conditioning and general clay
      rolling - skinner blending etc etc.

      The warning is that the steel of the rollers is usually of a slightly
      lower grade than the known brands (Atlas, Imperia etc) and may colour
      the lighter clays with grey deposits unless one is careful and cleans
      the rollers prior to use.

      Also, the gear mechanisms can be a little slack, which can cause
      problems if one uses the thinnest settings - what tends to happen is
      that the rollers turn at very slightly different speeds and this
      causes the thin clay to cockle or tear. The gearing can also
      gradually wear with time which makes the tearing etc problem get
      worse.

      The reason I'm mentioning these points is that I bought a cheap
      machine when I began to clay (actually it was a Christmas present). I
      soon found that I needed a better one.

      I do still use the first one - but mainly for non-delicate work and
      clay conditioning.

      Alan

      --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, Esther Reeves <esther.reeves@w...>
      wrote:
      > I was in Sainsburys yesterday and they have all their Christmas
      range at
      > 1/3 off till the end of the month.
      >
      > One of the things they have is a pasta set which is a pasta machine
      and
      > flour. I got given one last year for clay (I'm celiac so the flour
      > wasn't much use!) so far it has worked well and I think they are
      > currently a bit over £13 which isn't bad at all.
      >
      > Just though it might be useful for someone out there.
      > --
      > Esther Reeves
    • Esther Reeves
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
        Thanks for the info. Mine is fine at the moment, I do clean it before
        each use though mostly in case I missed any clay form the last lot. I
        don't do a huge amount at the moment and it's all fairly basic but I
        will keep your words in mine if it starts to play up and get a more
        expensive one.

        I still think the Sainsburys one might be a good starting point for
        someone who just wants to have a go.

        How much are the better ones anyway?

        Esther

        In message <ckrg2o+s8aa@...>, Alan Vernall <alanjv@...>
        writes

        --
        Esther Reeves
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
          Hi Ester,

          Oh I agree completely - I lost about 1/2 lb of bleached trans Premo
          to the dreaded grey/black menace, which I why I mentioned it.
          The Atlas ones' 'stainless' steel will colour the clay occasionally
          too, but generally not so badly.Have a lump of white Sculpey which
          lives with the machine and run that through the rollers before you
          use it with the good stuff.

          The current UK price of an Atlas-150 (that's 6ins(150mm) wide
          rollers) is about 35 pounds plus postage(£5ish).

          I bought mine from here...

          https://www.divertimenti.co.uk/cgi-
          bin/Divertimenti.storefront/41716712026de2ca273fac1001740696/UserTempl
          ate/95

          I had to buy my Atlas motor from another company - CookCraft - who
          seem to have stopped trading via the Net.

          wrote:
          > Thanks for the info. Mine is fine at the moment, I do clean it
          before
          > each use though mostly in case I missed any clay form the last lot.
          > don't do a huge amount at the moment and it's all fairly basic but I
          > will keep your words in mine if it starts to play up and get a more
          > expensive one.
          >
          > I still think the Sainsburys one might be a good starting point for
          > someone who just wants to have a go.
          >
          > How much are the better ones anyway?
          >
          > Esther
        • Mandy
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
            Hi Esther Hi Alan
            Just an idea, but I run my clay throught he pasta machine using two
            pieces of grease proof paper. This way you do not have a
            possibility of marking the clay :0). My pasta machine was cheap and
            has served me well :0)
            I make small sculpts and it works for me :0).
            My favourite machine is my mini processor as it softens the clay by
            chopping it, which warms the clay, looks a bit like cottage cheese?
            Great for mixing colours too :0).
            I do not profess to be an expert? As we learn new things everyday.
            Hope some of this is of help?
            Mands "Heartfeltcreations"