Character People/ Finishing

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
      Hi

      Just been browsing some old messages, and had a thought.(Honestly,I
      do sometimes!)
      In the past I've made quite a few character cakes (birthdays,
      leaving dos, etc.)- the instructions given in cake decorating and
      sugarcraft books apply exactly to polymer clay, and could be used
      for a bit of inspiration. Obvious really, but hey ....

      Now a question. How does anyone get a good shine on work? I've
      rubbed down with silicone carbide paper from 240 - 1000 (can't seem
      to find any finer). What polish / varnish is best - and available
      easily in the UK?

      Cheers
      Judy
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
        Hi Judy,

        If you're having trouble getting finer sheets of W/D, try online at
        somewhere like Axminster tools....

        http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19877&recno=15

        Hope that link works - otherwise, just do a search at Axminster's
        website for wet/dry sheets - they go down to 2500 in the 'WS-Flex'
        range - prices aren't too bad either.

        Alan

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
          Alan - trust you to have managed to find a source for wet and dry papers
          over here - and it's not Maplin's!! If there's ever anything else I want I
          should ask you first.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
            I know - amazing isn't it?(Mind you,I tried Maplin first!)

            Maybe I should buy a bright yellow Reliant Robin.

            Alan

            --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "ShelleyM" <shelley@s...> wrote:

            > Alan - trust you to have managed to find a source for wet and dry
            papers
            > over here - and it's not Maplin's!! If there's ever anything else I
            want I
            > should ask you first.
            >
            > Shelley
            > www.shelleym.co.uk
          • Esther Reeves
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
              I was in Sainsburys yesterday and they have all their Christmas range at
              1/3 off till the end of the month.

              One of the things they have is a pasta set which is a pasta machine and
              flour. I got given one last year for clay (I'm celiac so the flour
              wasn't much use!) so far it has worked well and I think they are
              currently a bit over £13 which isn't bad at all.

              Just though it might be useful for someone out there.
              --
              Esther Reeves
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
                Hi Esther,

                Thanks for the information.

                May I offer a small note of caution?

                The cheaper machines are great for clay conditioning and general clay
                rolling - skinner blending etc etc.

                The warning is that the steel of the rollers is usually of a slightly
                lower grade than the known brands (Atlas, Imperia etc) and may colour
                the lighter clays with grey deposits unless one is careful and cleans
                the rollers prior to use.

                Also, the gear mechanisms can be a little slack, which can cause
                problems if one uses the thinnest settings - what tends to happen is
                that the rollers turn at very slightly different speeds and this
                causes the thin clay to cockle or tear. The gearing can also
                gradually wear with time which makes the tearing etc problem get
                worse.

                The reason I'm mentioning these points is that I bought a cheap
                machine when I began to clay (actually it was a Christmas present). I
                soon found that I needed a better one.

                I do still use the first one - but mainly for non-delicate work and
                clay conditioning.

                Alan

                --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, Esther Reeves <esther.reeves@w...>
                wrote:
                > I was in Sainsburys yesterday and they have all their Christmas
                range at
                > 1/3 off till the end of the month.
                >
                > One of the things they have is a pasta set which is a pasta machine
                and
                > flour. I got given one last year for clay (I'm celiac so the flour
                > wasn't much use!) so far it has worked well and I think they are
                > currently a bit over £13 which isn't bad at all.
                >
                > Just though it might be useful for someone out there.
                > --
                > Esther Reeves
              • Esther Reeves
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
                  Thanks for the info. Mine is fine at the moment, I do clean it before
                  each use though mostly in case I missed any clay form the last lot. I
                  don't do a huge amount at the moment and it's all fairly basic but I
                  will keep your words in mine if it starts to play up and get a more
                  expensive one.

                  I still think the Sainsburys one might be a good starting point for
                  someone who just wants to have a go.

                  How much are the better ones anyway?

                  Esther

                  In message <ckrg2o+s8aa@...>, Alan Vernall <alanjv@...>
                  writes

                  --
                  Esther Reeves
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
                    Hi Ester,

                    Oh I agree completely - I lost about 1/2 lb of bleached trans Premo
                    to the dreaded grey/black menace, which I why I mentioned it.
                    The Atlas ones' 'stainless' steel will colour the clay occasionally
                    too, but generally not so badly.Have a lump of white Sculpey which
                    lives with the machine and run that through the rollers before you
                    use it with the good stuff.

                    The current UK price of an Atlas-150 (that's 6ins(150mm) wide
                    rollers) is about 35 pounds plus postage(£5ish).

                    I bought mine from here...

                    https://www.divertimenti.co.uk/cgi-
                    bin/Divertimenti.storefront/41716712026de2ca273fac1001740696/UserTempl
                    ate/95

                    I had to buy my Atlas motor from another company - CookCraft - who
                    seem to have stopped trading via the Net.

                    wrote:
                    > Thanks for the info. Mine is fine at the moment, I do clean it
                    before
                    > each use though mostly in case I missed any clay form the last lot.
                    > don't do a huge amount at the moment and it's all fairly basic but I
                    > will keep your words in mine if it starts to play up and get a more
                    > expensive one.
                    >
                    > I still think the Sainsburys one might be a good starting point for
                    > someone who just wants to have a go.
                    >
                    > How much are the better ones anyway?
                    >
                    > Esther
                  • Mandy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 16, 2004
                      Hi Esther Hi Alan
                      Just an idea, but I run my clay throught he pasta machine using two
                      pieces of grease proof paper. This way you do not have a
                      possibility of marking the clay :0). My pasta machine was cheap and
                      has served me well :0)
                      I make small sculpts and it works for me :0).
                      My favourite machine is my mini processor as it softens the clay by
                      chopping it, which warms the clay, looks a bit like cottage cheese?
                      Great for mixing colours too :0).
                      I do not profess to be an expert? As we learn new things everyday.
                      Hope some of this is of help?
                      Mands "Heartfeltcreations"