Re: Another Newbie

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
      Judy

      I nearly fell off my chair when I read where you live! I live in
      Lytchett Matravers - just outside Poole. In fact I'm going to be
      doing a school fair this evening in Wimborne (Allenbourn Middle
      School).

      As for supplies, if I get anything locally I usually go down to
      Hobbycraft in Ferndown. There's also a small arty/crafty shop in
      Dorchester (can't for the life of me remember exactly where or what
      it's called) and that had some interesting supplies. Similarly there
      was (dunno if it's still there) a cake decorating place in
      Dorchester, that's where I bought my sugar craft gun, it's also
      great for lots of cutters and things. Otherwise I either order from
      Sue at the polypit or from the US. Especially if you are after
      Premo, it's cheaper to buy from the US than over here.

      Have you tried Creall Therm? It's very similar in consistency to the
      fimo classic and Sue sells it cheaper than fimo.

      What sort of thing do you make with polymer clay? We have got to
      meet up. You may even have seen me at some of the fairs locally.

    • Judy
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
        --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley" <shelley@s...> wrote:
        > Hi Shelley,

        Guess what - I'm in Corfe Mullen!!! How does it go? It's a small
        world….Didn't expect quite such a quick reply though.

        I bought a basic Fimo set in Hobbycraft on Tuesday and have used
        everything up already making canes.

        I have been beginning to muck about with making chunky pendants and
        will probably have a crack at other jewellery too. I'm just fiddling
        really as a result of boredom, having stopped full-time teaching a
        year ago, and the supply work hasn't been pouring in this term. I
        was really just thinking about Christmas presents initially -
        looked like a way to save money, but I'm going to have to go and
        spend some more!

        I hadn't thought about using sugar craft stuff - there's a good
        place called Magic Moments on Ashley Road in Poole (or was last time
        I looked).

        I'll keep an eye out for you at local fairs. Good luck this
        evening.

        Judy.

        PS. Just visited your Web site. Wow! Do you make everything you
        sell yourself? Makes some of what I said above look a bit sad
        really …
      • Shelley
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
          Judy

          I don't tend to go to the Ashley Road area - but I ought to now
          *grin*. There used to be a wonderful shop that sold all sorts of
          crafty things down there but unfortunately it disappeared a few
          years ago. They had jones tones foils and all sorts of interesting
          supplies.

          Thanks for the comments on my work. I don't make absolutely
          everything. There's a range of sterling silver that I buy to retail -
          mostly the ear studs and sterling chains. All the polymer clay,
          semi-precious and beaded jewellery I make. I'm hoping to get in more
          supplies and start selling more jewellery making components, but I'm
          too busy creating for fairs at the moment. I also supply several
          shops with wish bottles and my jewellery is sold in a few shops as
          well - Mainly Blue in Wareham and I have some things now at Walford
          Mill. I'm hoping to add more to the list, but I just haven't had
          time to sort things to take to the shops!

          Word of warning - polymer clay can be very addictive. It's very easy
          to spend tons on those 'must have' supplies!