Another Newbie

  • judymatiz
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
      Hi!
      I've just re-discovered polymer clay via the Internet after a gap of
      several years. Wow. It's moved on a bit since my last foray into
      polymer creativity.
      Living in Dorset, UK (Wimborne area) this is my first time joining
      an interest group.
      I have been able to get very basic Fimo supplies locally, but have
      been looking online for a good supplier of accessories as well as
      clay. We just don't seem to be as well covered as the US! any
      suggestions? I've found the Polymer Clay Pit site.
      Looking forward to getting to know some new people.

      Judy
    • Shelley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
        Judy

        I nearly fell off my chair when I read where you live! I live in
        Lytchett Matravers - just outside Poole. In fact I'm going to be
        doing a school fair this evening in Wimborne (Allenbourn Middle
        School).

        As for supplies, if I get anything locally I usually go down to
        Hobbycraft in Ferndown. There's also a small arty/crafty shop in
        Dorchester (can't for the life of me remember exactly where or what
        it's called) and that had some interesting supplies. Similarly there
        was (dunno if it's still there) a cake decorating place in
        Dorchester, that's where I bought my sugar craft gun, it's also
        great for lots of cutters and things. Otherwise I either order from
        Sue at the polypit or from the US. Especially if you are after
        Premo, it's cheaper to buy from the US than over here.

        Have you tried Creall Therm? It's very similar in consistency to the
        fimo classic and Sue sells it cheaper than fimo.

        What sort of thing do you make with polymer clay? We have got to
        meet up. You may even have seen me at some of the fairs locally.

      • Judy
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
          --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley" <shelley@s...> wrote:
          > Hi Shelley,

          Guess what - I'm in Corfe Mullen!!! How does it go? It's a small
          world….Didn't expect quite such a quick reply though.

          I bought a basic Fimo set in Hobbycraft on Tuesday and have used
          everything up already making canes.

          I have been beginning to muck about with making chunky pendants and
          will probably have a crack at other jewellery too. I'm just fiddling
          really as a result of boredom, having stopped full-time teaching a
          year ago, and the supply work hasn't been pouring in this term. I
          was really just thinking about Christmas presents initially -
          looked like a way to save money, but I'm going to have to go and
          spend some more!

          I hadn't thought about using sugar craft stuff - there's a good
          place called Magic Moments on Ashley Road in Poole (or was last time
          I looked).

          I'll keep an eye out for you at local fairs. Good luck this
          evening.

          Judy.

          PS. Just visited your Web site. Wow! Do you make everything you
          sell yourself? Makes some of what I said above look a bit sad
          really …
        • Shelley
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
            Judy

            I don't tend to go to the Ashley Road area - but I ought to now
            *grin*. There used to be a wonderful shop that sold all sorts of
            crafty things down there but unfortunately it disappeared a few
            years ago. They had jones tones foils and all sorts of interesting
            supplies.

            Thanks for the comments on my work. I don't make absolutely
            everything. There's a range of sterling silver that I buy to retail -
            mostly the ear studs and sterling chains. All the polymer clay,
            semi-precious and beaded jewellery I make. I'm hoping to get in more
            supplies and start selling more jewellery making components, but I'm
            too busy creating for fairs at the moment. I also supply several
            shops with wish bottles and my jewellery is sold in a few shops as
            well - Mainly Blue in Wareham and I have some things now at Walford
            Mill. I'm hoping to add more to the list, but I just haven't had
            time to sort things to take to the shops!

            Word of warning - polymer clay can be very addictive. It's very easy
            to spend tons on those 'must have' supplies!