Alan, what did you do with the eggs?

  • Katherine Dewey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
      The subject line says it all, Alan -- What clever concept did you
      apply to the ostritch eggs? I've been looking forward to seeing the
      ideas you explored.

      Katherine Dewey
      Http://www.elvenwork.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
        Hi Kat,

        Thank you for asking - but I'm sorry to disappoint you for the
        moment, but as soon as I saw them, my respect for the ostrich was
        changed to such a degree (my respect level kept swinging between
        very, very impressed because they lay such e-blinking-normous eggs,
        to not impressed at all for exactly the same reason!)

        I've had one of them alongside me since they arrived hoping to get
        some idea worthy of their usage. Up to now I've made sure I've saved
        a small ammount of all the canes I've made and I hope to make a
        giant 'conversation egg' (a patchwork of canework all over it)

        Rest assured, I shall use them, and when I do, I'll definitely show
        them off!

        In the meantime, I'm concentrating on very small polyclay Tiffany
        style 'stained glass' lamps which really light up (batteries in their
        bases and white LEDs under their shades). Like this....

        http://tinyurl.com/2sjoz

        I'll be back!

        --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Dewey" <kadewey@e...>
        wrote:
        > The subject line says it all, Alan -- What clever concept did you
        > apply to the ostritch eggs? I've been looking forward to seeing
        the
        > ideas you explored.
        >

        > Katherine Dewey
        > Http://www.elvenwork.com
      • Katherine Dewey
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
          I certainly like the shades, but know you can create a better base,
          something in the arts and crafts style. Have you considered a base
          done in black and highlighted with bronze powders, a base with bark
          like texture? That's easily done by scraping crumpled tin foil along
          its length. Brush down with alcohol to make it appear smoother, and
          then apply the leaves and powder.

          Katherine

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2004
            Yes, I know the lampbases are somewhat 'chunky'.

            I really wanted to light the shades from the inside to show them off
            properly. So the bases have to be that shape to allow me to install
            reasonably avaiable(and reasonably priced!) batteries. I opted for a
            pair of AAA cells in a holder, which dictated the shape and size of
            the foot.

            Everything's a compromise!

            I downloaded dozens of photos of lamps from the net before I began to
            make them - I really did like the bronze patina'd ones. I even went
            as far as making one(but not curing it) - but it just didn't seem to
            go with the shade - possibly because, compared with the beautifully
            elegant Arts and Crafts flora inspired Tiffany ones, it looked even
            more chunky with a great lump of bronze base containing the battery
            pack!

            Maybe the solution would be to have one narrow and elegant stand for
            show and another battery-filled one for function - with a swappable
            shade - of course!

            Alan