Re: Attaching Hair

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2004
      Hi Mandy,

      Although I haven't actually tried this myself (all my figures seem to
      be either hatted or bald - what a coward!)

      I saw a painstaking but very effective technique once which was used
      for wax or alginate 'corpses' on films and TV. The hair was applied
      in small sections by laying the strands across the skin to be covered
      and a tool which looked suspiciously like the back-end of a needle
      with the top cut off (i.e. the eye became a tiny two-pronged fork)
      was repeatedly stabbed through the hair strands into the skin. The
      progress was slow, but the result was very realistic.

      If I had to do it - that's the way I'd try first - at least it isn't
      very messy.

      The only problem - the 'hair' would naturally have to withstand
      claybake temperatures subsequently.

      Good luck with it, Alan

      --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "mand149" <mandy@h...> wrote:
      > Hi All
      >
      > Haven't been here for a while to post a message but I enjoy reading
      > all the helpful hints.
      > I love working with polymer clay. I generally make Unicorn's as I
      > love them. I have sold some on ebay and it is very satisfying to
      > know someone wants something you have created.
      > I need some advice, I would like to make a fairy to go with one of
      > my Unicorn's. Only problem is I would like some advice on
      attaching
      > the hair? I have only made one Unicorn with hair and found it very
      > tricky and messy, LOL! I usually make clay manes and tails, but
      > would not get away with it with a fairy.
      > Anyone out there who could give me some tips, as I would be very
      > grateful.
      >
      > Many Thanks
      >
      > Mandy
    • thebluelapis
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2004
        --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Vernall" <av@d...> wrote:
        > Hi Mandy,
        >
        > Although I haven't actually tried this myself (all my figures seem
        > be either hatted or bald - what a coward!)
        >
        > I saw a painstaking but very effective technique once which was
        used
        > for wax or alginate 'corpses' on films and TV. The hair was
        applied
        > in small sections by laying the strands across the skin to be
        covered
        > and a tool which looked suspiciously like the back-end of a
        needle
        > with the top cut off (i.e. the eye became a tiny two-pronged fork)
        > was repeatedly stabbed through the hair strands into the skin. The
        > progress was slow, but the result was very realistic.
        >
        > If I had to do it - that's the way I'd try first - at least it
        isn't
        > very messy.
        >
        > The only problem - the 'hair' would naturally have to withstand
        > claybake temperatures subsequently.
        >
        > Good luck with it, Alan
        >
        > --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "mand149" <mandy@h...> wrote:
        > > Hi All
        > >
        > > Haven't been here for a while to post a message but I enjoy
        reading
        > > all the helpful hints.
        > > I love working with polymer clay. I generally make Unicorn's as
        > > love them. I have sold some on ebay and it is very satisfying
        > > know someone wants something you have created.
        > > I need some advice, I would like to make a fairy to go with one
        of
        > > my Unicorn's. Only problem is I would like some advice on
        > attaching
        > > the hair? I have only made one Unicorn with hair and found it
        very
        > > tricky and messy, LOL! I usually make clay manes and tails, but
        > > would not get away with it with a fairy.
        > > Anyone out there who could give me some tips, as I would be very
        > > grateful.
        > >
        > > Many Thanks
        > >
        > > Mandy
        Hi Mandy,I also like to make miniature faeries and mermaids,etc.,
        and the best method I have found to apply hair is to use the small
        bags of curly hair they sell in the craft stores and use a polymer
        friendly glue(I prefer the gel superglues,it dries slower and allows
        some adjustment time.)the hair is in long strands and can be cut to
        any length.I usually spot glue a strand near the top of the head
        then begin to arrange it on the head moving arround and down as I go
        spot gluing as needed to hold in place.Many looks can be achieved
        from very prim and proper to wild and unkempt.I would not recommend
        baking it though as I believe it is a spun plastic or nylon.I also
        have had great success with maribou feathers,which come in fantastic
        colors and give a very whimsical effect.And you can always do what I
        do when I'm in a hurry or just lazy,use an acorn cap or any of a
        variety of seed pods for a cap and voila!,who needs hair?Hope this
        helps and happy crafting. Jamie
      • Mandy
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
          --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "thebluelapis"
          <thebluelapis@y...> wrote:
          > --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Vernall" <av@d...> wrote:

          Hi Alan
          I have got a hair rooting tool now with two little prongs. Haven't
          tried it yet, but will let you know how I get on, LOL! It is so
          nice to have guy's doing this claying stuff. My previous site was
          all female and had a little bitchiness going on. Hey your not a
          coward, just have sculptures with no hair, Giggle. No Problem, don't
          blame you, LOL! My first Uni's didn't have hair as such, but clay
          strands. But I thought it was good at the time, until my kinda
          customers asked for real hair!! Well my first one for "real" hair,
          I used ostrich feathers. Will add that to my album, but my goodness
          that was hard!! I am only really a newbie,so I am experimenting all
          the time. Am planning on making a fairy soon, but goodness there
          are so many fairy makers out there!!
          But to me, it is the satisfaction in the making and not the
          selling. If you can sell, then it's great! But to me, it's holding
          that creation in your hand and just feeling proud! I feel claying
          is very therepeutic (wrong spelling)! So we all enjoy. Will keep
          you updated on my latest.
          Mands XXXX

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
            <thebluelapis@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > friendly glue(I prefer the gel superglues,it dries slower and
            allows
            > some adjustment time.)the hair is in long strands and can be cut
            > any length.I usually spot glue a strand near the top of the head
            > then begin to arrange it on the head moving arround and down as I
            go
            > spot gluing as needed to hold in place.Many looks can be achieved
            > from very prim and proper to wild and unkempt.I would not
            recommend
            > baking it though as I believe it is a spun plastic or nylon.I also
            > have had great success with maribou feathers,which come in
            fantastic
            > colors and give a very whimsical effect.And you can always do what
            > do when I'm in a hurry or just lazy,use an acorn cap or any of a
            > variety of seed pods for a cap and voila!,who needs hair?Hope this

            Hi Jamie
            Thanks for your advice babes. Email me again soon as not in very
            good emailing mood at the mo. A little bit tipsy, giggle.
            Have a look at my uni's in albun, will add the fluffy one soon,
            LOL!!
            Hugs Mands XX